Author Topic: Hottrills, Kirkdale area?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hottrills, Kirkdale area?
« on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Robert BENTLEY of  Hottrills/ Hottrels/Hotteril Hall or Hill  was the father of  George, 1749; Sarah, 1751;  Christiana, 1757. These baptisms were recorded at Kirkdale.   I have searched unsuccessfully for Hottrills.   Any ideas welcome. Thanks  Jo

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hottrills, Kirkdale area?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 23:34 BST (UK) »

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chempat - that was interesting  - i couldn't spot  Hottrills. I have two possible marriages for Robert Bentley both recorded at Kirkdale but thinking about it again in both cases he is recorded as being from Helmsley so if he is the father of George, Sarah and Christiana  then I guess I should be looking for Hottrills in the Helmsley area rather than Kirkdale. 

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Probably still not showing, but have a look around the area:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344467#zoom=4&lat=5311&lon=9020&layers=BT

Could you scan a picture so we can have another guess at the spellings of Hottrills Hall/Hill?

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
I had a good look but couldn't spot it. The baptisms of the three children each had a slightly different spelling as I have written in the first post. The local LDS centre where I saw these is open only on Tuesdays so I will go there next Tuesday and then attach for you to see. Thank you for your help.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 04:38 BST (UK) »
I checked Ancestry and FindmyPast at the library. Ancestry didn't have the images but FindmyPast did so I will try and attach.  To me it looks like
George - Hottrels
Sarah -   Hotterel Hall
Christiana- Hottrills
What do you think? Jo

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 07:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, a variety of spellings, but definitely Hott to start with, and r and l following.  Unfortunately not getting anywhere with it.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ejowynne

I tried looking for Hottrills/Hotterells etc.when you first posted but didn't get very far and noted no one else had answered you either. Today I decided to try again and think I have a possible/probable answer.

Scouring the old Kirkdale parish map linked from  GenUKI's Kirkdale Parish page I came across Otter Hill Common. Slightly north and east is Otter Hill by the side of the Hodge Beck.

I think this is what you are looking for. Say Hotterills quickly, dropping your aitches.

On the OS 1 and 1/4 inches to one mile Landranger Series 1972 this place is called Otter Hills and a small building is shown. Probably a ruined and abandoned farm a bit like Top Witherns near Howarth.

On the OS One inch to one mile Series of 1947 Map 86 Redcar and Whitby the place is called Otter Hill.

There is a track used by walkers and I found it mentioned on a walking blog here:

http://src-weblog.blogspot.ca/2010/06/

Scroll down to the walk on Friday 18 June 2010 called Helmsley to Hutton Highlights. Maybe the blogger could tell you more or even provide a photo.

To find on a map look for the main road A170 to Scarborough that runs under the North York Moors through Kirkbymoorside. West of Kirkbymoorside but East of Beadlem the Hodge Beck crosses the A170.

Follow the beck North onto the moors and you will find Otter Hill(s) just above Penny Holme and Otterhill Common is just to the East on the top of the Moor. Google maps do not show the detail so you should look at an OS Map or the parish map on GenUKI here

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Kirkdale/KirkdaleMap.html

It often happens that incumbents not familiar with the local dialect write down what they hear or what they think they hear and sometimes they "correct" local speech that actually does not need correction. If the informant is illiterate they cannot help with the spelling of the name or place. A whole generation of my Whiles/Wiles family were recorded as Wilds.

When I saw Otterhill Common a light went on. This was aided by the fact that last night I attended a performance of the musical "My Fair Lady".  (Artford, Ereford etc.)

Venelow
Canada

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks chempat for keeping the search alive and for your efforts.

venelow - that is brilliant. I had been trying variations of adding different letters but didn't think to drop one!  Thanks for the links - I think this is the answer. Clues from  " My Fair Lady " - Great.

Jo ( NZ)