Author Topic: Birth of John HENDERSON  (Read 2083 times)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of John HENDERSON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

The reason why I thought that John HENDERSON was born circa 1818 in Aberdeenshire is because
on the burial record for John HENDERSON, 1848, it stated his age at death was 30, therefore I assumed that he was born circa 1818, presumably in Aberdeenshire as his wife Catharine was born at Rayne, and they were married at New Machar. Stated on OPR Marriage "both in this Parish and were proclaimed three times".

He was a road contractor according to his daughter's marriage cert. But she probably embellished his occupation, and he more likely was a labourer doing road work.

Everything that happened during his short life happened in Aberdeenshire, but nevertheless he may have been born elsewhere, but it all points to Aberdeenshire......assuming?? Hope not!

Margaret

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, that sounds reasonable. Death aged 30 in December 1848 certainly suggests birth in 1818, or in the last gasp of 1817.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Margaret,
Who were the witnesses at the baptism of John Henderson born 1848 in Old Machar? Reading your post I'm unsure if David and Alexander were the witnesses at John's marriage or birth? If it was at his birth there are not many David Henderson's around in Aberdeenshire in 1841/51.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennywren,

Thanks for your reply.

The full text for the OPR Birth for John HENDERSON is:   John Henderson, Labourer, King Street Road, and his Spouse Catharine Mortimer, had a son born on the 19th January 1848, name John, baptized by the Rev. M. Smith, in presence of Alexander and David Henderson.

This was in Old Machar.

You mention that there were not many David HENDERSON's around Aberdeenshire in 1841/1851. If that is the case then it should be possible to find out which David was related to John.....??

Thanks again, Jen.  (Think we have corresponded before?)

Margaret

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 June 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
I'd certainly be having a closer look at Alexander Henderson and Elizabeth Brown as mentioned by Forfarian - in addition to a son born John in 1818 - they also a son called David and one called Alexander...not saying it's your man but I'd definitely want to rule them in or out. ;) David Henderson would appear to have called his first son David and his second son Alexander.

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 June 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen, Forfarian and Kenjo, for all the help and advice you gave. I am certain that I now have my GGG Grandparents.

Alexander HENDERSON and Elizabeth BROWN were the right ones.

It is amazing that a little snippet of information by a few people can lead to a successful "find" and a brick wall comes tumbling down! Thank you all!!

Margaret