Author Topic: Barnburgh - Corn Mills  (Read 1958 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barnburgh - Corn Mills
« on: Wednesday 31 May 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who has any evidence as to the identity of the miller/millers at Barnburgh Mill or Harlington Mill  between about 1700 and 1800? Both mills lay in the parish of Barnburgh, but both were very adjacent to the hamlet of Harlington

As far as I am aware, the White family (Luke, Jonathan, William) ran at least one of these mills between the said dates, but have no evidence as to which one. It might have been both.

The Land Tax records dated 1798 show that William White was a tenant of Earl Fitzwilliam. I believe that the William referred to was a corn miller of Harlington and that the Earl Fitzwilliam owned the Wentworth Woodhouse estates. It would thus be useful to know which mill belonged to Wentworth Woodhouse.

From about 1800 onward, Harlington Mill appears to have been operated by the Lockwood family. Various James Whites appear to have been at Barnburgh Mill until at least 1881.

Who operated Harlington Mill before 1800?

Offline Berties friend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barnburgh - Corn Mills
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather, Joseph Lockwood (died 1898) was the miller at Harlington mill and his father Joseph (c1791 to 1863) was certainly a corn miller though I'm not sure whether at Harlington mill. My great great grandfather's eldest son, also Joseph, took over the mill and his eldest daughter Maggie (unmarried, died 1961) lived at Mill Farm, Harlington, after her father's death in 1935. Her sister told me many decades ago that the Mill Farm was demolished.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Berties friend. You can me my friend as well.

Since posting this topic, I have slowly come around to the conclusion that my folk (White) operated Barnburgh Mill, which appears to have been owned by the Marquis of Rockingham and later by the Earl Fitzwilliam, whereas the Harlington Mill, was run by the Lockwoods. Your information confirms what I was thinking.

I believe that the Lockwoods, in the form of Joseph Lockwood and his family, arrived at Barnburgh from Bolton upon Dearne in about 1800. Joseph died in 1806. His son, also Joseph, married Miss Varah at Mexborough on the 1st January 1818. A notice of the marriage in the Northern Star reported Joseph as being 'of Harlington Mill'. Copy attached. This presumably was your 3g grandfather (1791 to 1863).

I believe that Harlington Mill was owned by the More family of Barnburgh Hall until its sale in 1859. At that time the tenant was Joseph Lockwood who it now seems continued as the miller.

As to who operated the Harlington Mill before the arrival of the Lockwoods, I still have no idea.

Many thanks for your input to this topic.

Offline Berties friend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply and attachment which I did not have. Yes my 3gg grandfather married Martha Varah, daughter of a blacksmith from Mexborough. As I became interested in genealogy over 50 years ago, I had first hand information from old relatives still alive and my great aunt by marriage showed me an old photo of my 2gg grandfather, tall with tall Victorian top hat, walking with his little Welsh wife in Harlington. Now I'm very interested in the social aspects of their life and would also like to find out more about the mill before the Lockwood family's arrival. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
If you come across anything pre 1800, I'd be delighted to hear of it. I've failed miserably on this. Many thanks.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Mills website? It may be worth a try to see if they have something

millsarchive.org
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 July 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jebber. No I  hadn't, but I have now. It gives the coordinates, but not much more. Thanks for the suggestion. Thinking about it, the only source of the information I seek would probably be the 18th century records of the More family of Barnburgh Hall, if any still exist.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Doncaster Archives?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger. I've searched the online catalogue. I can't find anything. A physical visit might turn up something, but it's a round trip of 600 miles for me. I'm not that keen to find the answer. This is only a secondary issue. Just curiosity. Thanks for the thought.