Author Topic: Jessie Turner Hamilton  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Jean Sabourin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Turner Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information. I was very surprised by all of it. I remember my mother talking a bout a grandparent who was on the police force. I must take some time & look into all this.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Turner Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
This is, I believe, the obituary of James Turner from The Bellshill Speaker 30 Sept 1904

"Many Bellshill people will learn with regret of the death of Mr James Turner, which took place at Gillhead, Wishaw on the 23 Sept. Deceased was well known in Bellshill and Mossend ,and was one of the original trustees of the East Free Church... Of a high and lofty nature, and possessing a cheerful and obliging disposition, he was a general favourite with old and young.He had reached the ripe old age of 76 years,thirty five of which were spent in the service of the Caledonian Railway Company. At one time he was the recipient of a testimonial from  the Company, on the occasion of having, through his coolness and presence of mind, averted a probable collision".

It goes on to say he was buried at Wrangholm Cemetery, Holytown  where he was laid to rest beside his wife who predeceased him by thirty years.

The 1841 census has Isabella Dickson in the home of Walter Jamieson, probably her grandfather,in Lochurd, Kirkcud, Peebles. Although relationships are not given in the 1841 census her mother is likely to be Janet Dickson. In the 1851 census Janet Dickson is recorded as widow of a flesher living in Mountain Cross, Peeblesshire. You might, therefore, find these wills, which can be accessed on Scotland's People, of interest.

Walter Jamieson Date 16 Jan 1843 Tenant of Lochurd.
Janet Dickson Date 10 Jul 1854 Mrs, alias Jamieson, residing at Mountain Cross in the Parish of Newlands.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)