Author Topic: Greenhow Place, Newcastle  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Exiled_Geordie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenhow Place, Newcastle
« on: Thursday 01 June 17 03:16 BST (UK) »
Alreet Everyone!!

First time poster, and just finished a nice, long conversation with me Fatha about where he grew up, and it lead me to this page.......

We emigrated to Canada in 1974, when I was 9, but Newcastle has always been home.  Got talking tonight and it seems that me Fatha grew up at 12 Greenhow Place.  The Elswick Hotel used to be at the corner of Greenhow Place and Scotswood Road, and I think that the Elswick was #1 Greenhow Place.

If anyone has any further information that they might be able to share, I would really appreciate anything that might shed some insight into the area during the 1950's and early 60's, at which point, they moved up to Westerhope.

Cheers and many thanks in advance for any help that you might provide.

Steve

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhow Place, Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 17 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Are you looking to research your family tree or just the areas/eras mentioned in your post?

Annie (A Newcastle/Durham & surrounding areas descendant)  ;D
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Exiled_Geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 17 04:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Annie..........looking to research my family history in that area, but if I can also dig in to me Mutha's side, that would be great as well. Me Granda was from Birtley, but moved to Blakelaw, where I grew up. Me Nana was from Pelton, as far as I know, but again, moved to Blakelaw, and that is probably my best starting point for both.

Thanks again for the nice welcome, and any advice, with regards to how to proceed in searching, would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers and have a great day!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Are you looking to research your family tree or just the areas/eras mentioned in your post?

Annie (A Newcastle/Durham & surrounding areas descendant)  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
Okay Steve,

Now that you have committed yourself to the 'genealogy' bug, I suggest you now start your own thread on the Northumberland Board which clearly shows a sign 'NEW TOPIC'

You can put any relevant info. in the 'Subject' box (as you see on this thread) but in my opinion for FT (Family Tree) information requests it's best to give names/surnames/date/area for your interest (no living people or possibly living people can be named) but this will start you off on your ancestral journey  ;D

Give as much info. as you can to avoid people searching for info. you already have.

There are many great researchers here with access to records unavailable online & all ready to help you.

Good luck with your own request on the NBL (Northumberland) board  ;)

I often visit that board in the hope of possible connections with my own family.

I guarantee within 2 weeks you will be an addict like most of us  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

A new topic has been created just for you.

Please take a few moments to read our guidelines for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Happy hunting!

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
There are some fantastic photographs on Newcastle Libraries Flickr page
they may be of great interest to your family
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Louise Coulson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I know this is an old post so I hope this finds you. I searched for Greenhow Place and this came up. I was looking for photos after hearing fond memories yesterday.

My family lived in 55 Greenhow Place. They were there in 39 because I've found records. They were there earlier though. They stayed until it was demolished. They lived in surrounding streets also.

It was the Clark / Wilkinson / Fee family.

They have fond memories of being there. What did you want to find?

Alreet Everyone!!

First time poster, and just finished a nice, long conversation with me Fatha about where he grew up, and it lead me to this page.......

We emigrated to Canada in 1974, when I was 9, but Newcastle has always been home.  Got talking tonight and it seems that me Fatha grew up at 12 Greenhow Place.  The Elswick Hotel used to be at the corner of Greenhow Place and Scotswood Road, and I think that the Elswick was #1 Greenhow Place.

If anyone has any further information that they might be able to share, I would really appreciate anything that might shed some insight into the area during the 1950's and early 60's, at which point, they moved up to Westerhope.

Cheers and many thanks in advance for any help that you might provide.

Steve

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Louise. I don't know when Steve was last on rootschat, but he is not a regular visitor. Lets hope he finds your reply.

Presumably you know where Greenhow Place used to be:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.317249782946234&lat=54.9656&lon=-1.6538&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 September 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
This 1/1250 Town Plan shows the houses and the house numbers and the Elswick Hotel
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/422244/563393/13/101329
Change the zoom with the - + in the top left corner.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk