Author Topic: 1871 Census look up please for the Gallagher Family  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1871 Census look up please for the Gallagher Family
« on: Thursday 01 June 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
I am helping a friend research her family and have them on all censuses back to 1881 but can get no further.
Bernard b. c 1840 and Rose Ann b. 1842 (Nugent) Gallagher were both born in Ireland.

They had four children born in Scotland and have found an entry for them on the 1871 census in Scotland but no image:

Patrick 1870
Michael Nov. 1871 in Govan Mmn found on Familysearch
Bernard 1874
James 1878

The rest of the children were born in South Shields and appear in 1881 & 1891 in Hebburn after which they move to Beverley in East Yorkshire where Bernard dies in 1897 and I have the newspaper report about his death.

I have failed to find a marriage for them and suspect that Bernard was previously married.

Thanks for looking.

Edit: Please don't incur any expense on my account.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census look up please for the Gallagher Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol ,

They had four children born in Scotland and have found an entry for them on the 1871 census in Scotland but no image

Was this from the Scotlandspeople website ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
That 1871 birth certificate should contain details of the parents marriage.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev...The 1871 census shows on Ancestry but there is no image..I don't have the BC for Michael just the entry from Familysearch.org giving Rose Nugent and Bernard Gallagher as parents and his date and place of birth.
Thanks for your interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 Census living at 7 Well Street Partick Lanarkshire it states children Patrick age 6 & John age 4 were born Glasgow, James age 2 Born Ireland. There are two lodgers John Megent ( Could this be Nugent?) age 16 and James Gallagher born 1853 Ireland, perhaps both are related?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Yes I think you could be right about the surname...that's really helpful info...thanks so much.
Carol

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census shows on Ancestry but there is no image.
Images of the Scottish census are available only at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Yes I realise that and that is why I asked for further info in the hope that someone with a subscription would help me with the details.
Carol

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I realise that and that is why I asked for further info in the hope that someone with a subscription would help me with the details.
No one has a subscription to Scotland's People; there is no subscription option. It is always pay-to-view so unless someone happens to have looked it this image already, they would have to use their own credits (i.e. pay) to view it for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.