Author Topic: Who did Edward HORSLEY (b 1874) of Cottingham marry?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Who did Edward HORSLEY (b 1874) of Cottingham marry?
« on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to unravel another of the multiply entangled families of Cottingham

It appears that Edward was born (March 2nd 1874)  the second son of Samuel Horsley and Mary Bull. His older brother, Albert, married Ellen Coles in 1892.

The 1911 census declares that he married Sarah J (born September 13th 1875)  from Wilbarston 17 years before. They had 6 children, the first, May, born in Wilbarston; the remaining 5 (Lizzie, Ivy, Kenneth, Vera and Florrie) were born in Desborough.

Edward and Sarah J Horsley were living at 64 Station Road Desborough in 1939 - the same address as 1911.

The 1901 census might hold a tiny clue: they had a visitor on the night of the census - 27 year old James Coles from Gretton.

Although Edward's surname is written quite clearly on the census returns and in the 1939 Directory, I have been unable to find a marriage which fits this profile. More strange, I have been unable to find any of the six children around the given years of birth in the new GRO indexes.

So, the question is: Who was Sarah J? Or indeed was Edward Horsley ever married?

Many thanks

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who did Edward HORSLEY (b 1874) of Cottingham marry?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
"Kenneth" was born and baptised as Edward Kenneth Horsley.

Birth was registered Mar qtr 1903 Kettering, mmn Chapman.  GRO Online has his surname as Harsley.

Baptised 15 March 1903 at Desborough, parents Edward Samuel Horsley (labourer) and Sarah Jane, of Desborough.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Edward Samuel Horsley married Sarah Jane Chapman, Market Harborough, Dec qtr 1894.

See www.freebmd.org.uk
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

That solves that one!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Full names of the known children:

Sylvia May Horsley, Mar qtr 1895 Mkt Harborough mmn Chapman
Mary Elizabeth Horsley, Mar qtr 1897 Kettering mmn Chapman
Dorothy Ivy Horsley, Dec qtr 1899 Kettering mmn Chapman
Edward Kenneth Horsley, Mar qtr 1903 Kettering mmn Chapman
Phyllis Vera Horsley, Sep qtr 1907 Kettering mmn Chapman
Florence Edna Horsley, Dec qtr 1909 Kettering mmn Chapman

Plus another possible daughter:

Queenie Violet Horsley, Dec qtr 1915 Kettering mmn Chapman

Offline amandab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Just to add to the information already provided Edward and Sarah Jane Horsley were the witnesses at the marriage of Sarah's widowed sister-in-law Mary Ann Chapman (nee West) when she married my Great Great Grandfather, Elijah Jones, at St Mary's, Kettering on 1 August 1904

Amanda

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda
I had hoped that Mary Ann Chapman might close another loop I have in my database - but unfortunately not. Mary Ann West (born 1860, Cottingham to William West and Mary Ann Dalby) did indeed marry Thomas Chapman in Wilbarston in 1880. Unfortunately I have counted at least 6 different West households in the Cottingham census of 1861 - three of them with the head of household named William!.

Although West is a surname of interest to me in the Welland Valley, this particular twig hasn't attracted my attention yet. However it is possible that a John West who lived about 10 doors away from him was his brother John - who also had a daughter, Mary Ann, who marriage into another Cottingham family was a primary reason for my involvement in research in the first place.

Alan