Author Topic: Bowcott/Boulcott family. baptisms and marriage please?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Racheal Kibble

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bowcott/Boulcott family. baptisms and marriage please?
« on: Thursday 01 June 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm in a bit of a confused state with both this family and Herefordshire PR's (of which there doesn't seem to be many)

details of the family are below.
 I am mainly looking for help in finding Thomas Bowcott's marriage to Hannah, presumably somewhere in Herefordshire, and around 1816 +-5
The birth of the last daughter Elizabeth suggests mmn of Edwards but of course there may be 2 marriages to Hannah's

I'm also looking for help in finding the missing baptisms. FindMyPast have very little in the way of early H'shire PR's. I have also searched extensively on Familysearch.
Parish chest doesn't seem to offer many PR's either!!

finally if anyone can find Thomas and/or Hannah in the 1851 census....(I doubt this one though)

1841 census
new town, stoke edith, Hereford and Dore.

Thomas Boulcot    45 1796 ag lab (y)
Hannah                45 1796           (y)
eliza Boulcot         20 1820                      (later census says POB Aymestrey)
Thomas boulcot    18 1823               (possible baptism 23 april 1823 aymestry)(later census Dilwyn)
John Boulcot         12 1829                (later census say Felton)
Emma boulcot       9 1832                 (possible bap 22 jan 1832 Ocle Pychard)
Charles boulcot     7  1834                   (later census possibly westhide)
George boulcot      4 1837                    (later census westhide)
Elizabeth boulcot    9m 1840                 (poss bap 30 aug 1840 Withington/ GRO mmn Edwards)

probable other children

Elizabeth bottcate bap 1 nov 1818 Elton, herefordshire
James Bowkitt bap 28 nov 1820 burrington, "   (later census say only Hereford)
William Bowcutt     C1829/32                           (Later census say Dilwyn)

The family are missing as a whole in 1851.
Eliza, James, Thomas and William have definitely moved out and are all marrying between 1849 and 1854 in Staffordshire.

1861 census
Shucknall cottage, Weston beggard

Thomas bowcott    65 1796 felton
Hannah (Edwards) 64 1797 Bradnor, Wales
George bowcott     25 1837 Weston Beggard

finally, thank you for reading and thanks in advance of any help
racheal

Hawksworth - West Yorkshire/ Norfolk/ Birmingham
Moreton- Cheshire/Salford

Denning/ Dinning- Devon/Somerset (around chard) and Staffordshire
Talbot- Chebsey/Gnosall, Staffordshire

Jones- Shropshire/Stafford
Bailey- Stafford

Offline psstevo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowcott/Boulcott family. baptisms and marriage please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been looking, very unsuccessfully!) for (a) the birth of James Edwin William BOULCOTT, abt 1866 in Surry. He appears to have had a sister an Eliza Boulcott born 1871 (1871 England census), however, she is recorded as died 1871. Not having an exact birth date for J E W Boulcott I cannot be sure of his father/mother. As you are aware the 'James' and 'William' names are very frequently used and that causes confusion.
I am trying to complete the Boulcott tree for my wife, Mary, but after over 20 years rechecking still have a brick wall! I would appreciate if you have any data that may be able to help me to move on. Many thanks.

David Stevens

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 17 01:47 BST (UK) »
psstevo - his name at birth registered as William J. Bulcott, June qtr.1866 Lambeth - the GRO index on their own site (which now shows mothers maiden names) now has his name as William James Bulcott - mmn Edwards.   

His parents seem to have messed around somewhat with his name - William James at birth, baptised as Edwin James b.22/4/1866, bp.3/3/1867 St. John, Brixton and you have him as James Edwin William!  Another child also baptised there - John Henry b.29/3/1868, bp.2/5/1869 who died in June quarter 1869.

His parents William James Boulcott (son of Edwin) and Mary Elizabeth Edwards married 27/1/1866 Lambeth.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline psstevo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 17 07:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your info. My J E W Boulcott was married to a Lilly Elizabeth Brayin 1894. There seems to have at least two Boulcott trees in the general London/Lambeth area about the same time, and likely that the Hereford link is there too. All of which is confusing! I have seen one daughter and my father-in-law whose Birth Certs both show him as James Edwin William. There is an Edwin William and I have seen another document with Edwin James B. All fairly close in age and dates!. I'll try the All Saints church in Benhilton, Surrey and they may have a document with the missing clue.
Many thanks for your help.
David

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Going back to the original question
1861 census Weston Beggard
Thomas Bowcett 65 Felton Herefordshire
Hannah 64 Wales Bradnor
George 23 sawyer Weston Beggard Herefordshire.

Gives there birth places

Ciderdrinker