Author Topic: For photo restorers ...  (Read 5621 times)

Offline jloy326

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: For photo restorers ...
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 June 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
A few tips and tricks I've read about. Note I use Photoshop CC, I do not know the features of other programs, but I'm sure they have the equivalent.

Finding white and black points. (highlight & shadows)
1. Curves adjustment layer.
2. pulling the bar/line down
3. the last colors to show is your white. (Make sure it's part of the picture, not damages)
4. pull the bar/line up
5. the last colors to show is your blacks. (Again, make sure it isn't damages.)

Finding middle grey:
1. Create new Layer
2. Fill with 50% grey
3. set the blending mode to Difference
4. create Threshold adjustment layer
5. mover slider all the way to the left. (picture will be completely white)
6. slowly begin moving it back to the right.
7. The first colors to show up is your middle grey.

If a task is once begun never leave it till it's done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 June 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
As for a separate sub forum, well of course there already is one and we probably should use it more. I would definitely be up for more interaction, we just need to be as pro-active as Mike and get posting.

Edit to add: It might be helpful if, in the above mentioned sub forum, the mods would allow posting examples which might not necessarily be in the general remit of the site.

Also... it would be easy enough, rather than hijack threads, to post a link in a restore thread to a "Restorers comments thread" in the sub forum.....am I making sense??? ???

Oops, embarrassed and red-faced :-[, I somehow lost sight of the sub-forum when starting this topic. Even after posting there previously. I'll ask the mods to move this topic there from the main forum. The sub-forum is of course the right place to post any Q&A or share any tips. Posting a link from the Photo to any related topic on the subforum is an excellent idea.

Forgive this oversight on my part.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 June 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I’ve cut across the ideas of others. I wrote this before reading the more recent posts. Rather than rewrite it I’ll post it as first written.

Mike, one way of going about it might be to have a series of occasional posts interleaved with the normal ones, entitled “Restorers’ Notes” or some such, perhaps with a subtitle describing the main thing discussed. Examples might include such things as:

1. An interesting/unusual/difficult picture is posted. A restorer starts a topic, “Restorer’s Notes: Scanner Stripes” to begin a discussion on the picture, techniques used etc - with links to and from the particular photo post which gave rise to the discussion.

2. A restorer starts using a different program or technique, not necessarily related to a recent photo. They start a topic, “Restorers’ Notes: Fourier Filters”, or “Restorers’ Notes: GIMP”  to discuss their successful (or otherwise) experience with the new thing.

I think with something like this it would operate just like a normal post: if you are sufficiently interested in the topic you put your two bob’s worth in, if not you simply don’t. But the name of the post alerts restorers that they are the intended audience.

Perhaps the Moderator has some ideas on this: whether something has been tried before, whether they can see any problems, or whether they might have any ideas about the best form for it.

Cheers,
Peter 
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 June 17 12:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this (especially the blending modes!). I'll certainly try this out on a 'scratched' photo. Anything that reduces the cloning/patching work is very welcome!

Mike

A few tips and tricks I've read about. Note I use Photoshop CC, I do not know the features of other programs, but I'm sure they have the equivalent.

Finding white and black points. (highlight & shadows)
1. Curves adjustment layer.
2. pulling the bar/line down
3. the last colors to show is your white. (Make sure it's part of the picture, not damages)
4. pull the bar/line up
5. the last colors to show is your blacks. (Again, make sure it isn't damages.)

Finding middle grey:
1. Create new Layer
2. Fill with 50% grey
3. set the blending mode to Difference
4. create Threshold adjustment layer
5. mover slider all the way to the left. (picture will be completely white)
6. slowly begin moving it back to the right.
7. The first colors to show up is your middle grey.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 June 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I think together you and HandyPandy have got things figured out. I like the idea of occasional 'restorers notes' posts per photo (point 1) but I like HandyPandy's idea that these should preerably contain a link to a 'note, question, etc.' in the subforum http://www.rootschat.com/forum/resources-tips-tutorials/ rather than having a 'full text' discussion interspersed with the restores. People who request restores (and many restorers) are interested in seeing new restores but not in 'geeky' discussions of restoration techniques used. Putting these in the sub-forum with a 'restorers notes' link on the photo thread is a good idea.

For restorer's questions, tips, etc. not related to recent photos (point 2), the same applies. We can just start a new  topic in the subforum. People who are interested in the topic can contribute.

I'll run this past the mods and ask for their advice.

Mike

Apologies if I’ve cut across the ideas of others. I wrote this before reading the more recent posts. Rather than rewrite it I’ll post it as first written.

Mike, one way of going about it might be to have a series of occasional posts interleaved with the normal ones, entitled “Restorers’ Notes” or some such, perhaps with a subtitle describing the main thing discussed. Examples might include such things as:

1. An interesting/unusual/difficult picture is posted. A restorer starts a topic, “Restorer’s Notes: Scanner Stripes” to begin a discussion on the picture, techniques used etc - with links to and from the particular photo post which gave rise to the discussion.

2. A restorer starts using a different program or technique, not necessarily related to a recent photo. They start a topic, “Restorers’ Notes: Fourier Filters”, or “Restorers’ Notes: GIMP”  to discuss their successful (or otherwise) experience with the new thing.

I think with something like this it would operate just like a normal post: if you are sufficiently interested in the topic you put your two bob’s worth in, if not you simply don’t. But the name of the post alerts restorers that they are the intended audience.

Perhaps the Moderator has some ideas on this: whether something has been tried before, whether they can see any problems, or whether they might have any ideas about the best form for it.

Cheers,
Peter