Author Topic: Help needed in finding death after 1985 - Marjorie BROOKS  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help needed in finding death after 1985 - Marjorie BROOKS
« on: Friday 02 June 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the death/burial of my aunt, Marjorie BROOKS, born 1908 Boulder WA, which took place after 1985. I think I've exhausted all avenues of inquiry but I'm hoping Rootschatters can suggest other places to look.

Marjorie's husband, Alastair Brooks, died at home, 56 Craigend St, Leura NSW on 23 July 1985 and was buried in the RC section of Katoomba Cemetery. She was the informant on his death certificate.

I found a reference to her online in the bulletin (Sept 2015) of the Upper Blue Mountains RC parish under Anniversaries. I was told it meant that someone had asked for the congregation to pray for the repose of her soul. But it doesn't necessarily mean that she was still in the area. She had no children, having married at the age of 51.

I've checked the BDM index to date, the Blue Mountains cemetery records database, the Ryerson index, and general cemetery databases such as Heaven Address and BillionGraves.

The only other resource I can think of is the electoral rolls but with no middle name I think any search would be almost impossible, especially if she moved from the area. I found an ad for the sale of her house in November 1986, which suggests that she did move - to anywhere, I guess.

Have I forgotten anything?

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed in finding death after 1985 - Marjorie BROOKS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 17 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
  Is this a possibility?

Probate notice for a Marjorie BROOKS who died 30 May 1990

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 17 02:58 BST (UK) »
Here is funeral notice for this lady

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 17 03:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros, this one could be a possibility.  She would have been aged 82 in 1990. I just checked the cemetery records and the one you found was aged 74, so born ca 1916. This doesn't necessarily rule her out as she chopped 10 years off her age (so born ca 1918) when she and Alastair sailed from Auckland to Sydney in 1963.

But the reference I found in the parish bulletin was for September - and this one died in May.

Jan
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 17 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros, this one could be a possibility.  She would have been aged 82 in 1990. I just checked the cemetery records and the one you found was aged 74, so born ca 1916. This doesn't necessarily rule her out as she chopped 10 years off her age (so born ca 1918) when she and Alastair sailed from Auckland to Sydney in 1963.

But the reference I found in the parish bulletin was for September - and this one died in May.

Jan
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
Jan. Given the connection to Katoomba and the age, it might be worth checking out this one from the Ryerson Index:

BROOKS Margaret Death notice 09JUL1990 Death 83  late of Katoomba Sydney Morning Herald 11JUL1990

I admit I typed Margaret, rather than Marjorie, by mistake.  ::) Craig
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Jan. Given the connection to Katoomba and the age, it might be worth checking out this one from the Ryerson Index:

BROOKS Margaret Death notice 09JUL1990 Death 83  late of Katoomba Sydney Morning Herald 11JUL1990

I admit I typed Margaret, rather than Marjorie, by mistake.  ::) Craig

BROOKS, Margaret - July 9th, 1990, late of Katoomba, loving wife of John....
https://s9.postimg.org/l21yj5d4v/IMG_7003.jpg

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Craig, thanks for the suggestion - I've tried Margery, Margaret and other variations. Thanks to the details that cupoflife found, I can eliminate this one as she was married to Alastair, not John.

I think the problem is that she died after the cutoff for registrations in the NSW BDMs (currently 8 June 1987). She and Alastair didn't have children, plus they had lost contact with their respective families so there was no one to place a death or funeral notice.

I did contact the parish priest in Leura and also the Blue Mountains council re its cemetery records - both without success.

Looks like I'll have to keep checking the BDMs as they add more records. Unfortunately her siblings lived into their 80s and 90s so it could be a long wait!

Jan
England: