Author Topic: SCULTHORP(E) in Cottingham in the 19th century  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
SCULTHORP(E) in Cottingham in the 19th century
« on: Friday 02 June 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to show the relationship (if any) between John BULL and Vincent SCULTHORP. As a reference point I am looking at the 1871 census for Church Street in the village (RG10/1596 32 19)
The four properties of interest (with enumerator schedule numbers) belong as follows:
(83) James TILLEY and family
(84) William SCULTHORP and family (including Vincent)
(85) John BULL and family
(86) John CHAMBERLAIN and family

I am already aware that households in Cottingham were very significantly interlinked. For instance John Chamberlane's mother, Elizabeth was James Tilley's aunt.

The person I am interested in is John BULL's mother. She was born in Rebecca SCULTHORPE in Cottingham about 1811. There are several trees in another place that give her parents as Thomas Sculthorpe and Mary Tompkins. However parish records say that her baptismal parents were Thomas and Sarah. This would coincide with another record which shows that a Thomas Sculthorpre now a widower married Sarah Clow in Gretton on November 16th 1800

Also of note is that "my" (unmarried) Rebecca Sculthorpe was living with her two children and her brother John  at the time of the 1841 census. Living with them was Thomas Sculthorpe aged 80 years. By the time of the 1851 census Rebecca had married John Bull. With them in that house was Thomas Sculthorpe, grandfather, aged 90 years.

We do know that William Sculthorpe had a brother, Thomas, and that their father, Thomas was married to a Mary. William's brother Thomas also had a daughter, Rebecca, born in 1820. That family can also be seen in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

So, the question is - how do all these Sculthorpes fit together?

Alan

(My own family history is intimately involved in this particular page of the census. It revolves around a horrifying event which took place on a spring morning four years later and which started off in Chamberlain's shop and could have led to me not even being here!!. If that's of interest do send me a PM and I'll tell you the full story!)
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SCULTHORP(E) in Cottingham in the 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, Newfloridan

William was baptised 1818 in Cottingham, to Thomas & Mary, one of 5 children

Thomas Sculthorpe was married to Mary Hayes in Thorpe Malsor in 1808

There's a Thomas Sculthorpe buried in Cottingham in 1839, aged 85, which seems a bit old, but the only other one is the one you have on the 1851 Census aged 90, who died aged 93 in 1854.

Which gives us two Thomas's, one born about 1754, and the other about 1761.

And in Cottingham, we only have one baptism - in 1757, to Thomas & Ann Sculthorpe

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
There was another Thomas Sculthorpe in Gretton, born in 1765, to another Thomas & Ann. They also had two other children, Humphrey (1754) and Ann (1758).

Later in Gretton, there was a Thomas & Martha Sculthorpe who had three girls 1792 to 1798. They were married in Deene in 1791.

Then Martha died, in 1798.

And Thomas, of course remarried - in Gretton in 1800, to Sarah Clow.

So far, all we have is too many Thomas's, and no possible relationship? Unless I have this wrong somewhere.
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thomas Sculthorpe of Gretton (who married Ann, date and place unknown), was the son of Humphrey Sculthorpe & Elizabeth - one of SIXTEEN children (unless I've counted wrong!)

Thomas of Cottingham (who married Ann Peake, 1756, Cottingham) does not appear to have been born in Cottingham. When he married, he was of age, and otp. The marriage was witnessed by a John Sculthorpe, and the previous marriage in the register was for a Mary Sculthorpe.

Thomas appears to have died in Cottingham in 1809, aged 82, so born about 1727.

There is a John Sculthorpe married to Mary Peake in 1728 in Cottingham, where they later had a son William in 1735. There is a John and Mary having children in Bulwick - Thomas (1730) and Mary (1732), which is a possibility.

I can't track them any further. There is a Humphrey Sculthorpe born in Laxton in 1690/1, but he died. There was a John born in Laxton in 1689 - but he died too.

And still no relationship.
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
That's about the level on confusion I had reached ... and yet it is still a strong coincidence that John Bull whose mother was Rebecca Sculthorpe should end up living next door to a family of Sculthorpes in such a small community if they didn't share a common heritage.

I'm continuing to poke the heap!

Sent you a PM

Many thanks for your efforts.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
I started this thread referring to the way families living in neighbouring houses were often related to one another but that may lead to some confusing entanglements.

I might have taken this one step further by how the dead lie in neighbouring graves. In the churchyard of St Mary Magdalene, Cottingham there are two graves side by side occupied by members of the Sculthorpe family.

In Row A2 plot 43 lie:
William Sculthorp  24 March 1821 Aged 86
Elizabeth Sculthorp 18 May 1815(?6)  Aged 77 - his wife
Joseph Sculthorp  July 28th 1868 Aged 25
William Sculthorp April 9th 1868 Aged 3

In Row A plot 44 lie:
William Sculthorp 26th February 1844 Aged 76
Elizabeth Sculthorp 26th February 1856 Aged 68

Working from the top of the list, William Sculthorp married Elizabeth Iliffe in Cottingham on August 13th 1766. William's parents were John Sculthorp and Mary Peake who married in Cottingham on June 12th 1726.

They had one son (as far as I can tell) William born abt 1766. He would equate with the William aged 76 in grave Row A2 Plot 44. His wife (quite a bit younger than he was) was Eliza(beth) Smith born about 1790. That would equate to the second occupant of this grave. They were married in Rockingham on February 8th 1819.

This pair had five children, so far discovered, including Brian Smith Sculthorpe born 1820. He married Elizabeth Woodcock in 1842. Joseph (Smith) Sculthorpe, born 1843, died aged 25 and is in grave A2 43.   I believe that William, born abt 1865 (although not yet traced), died aged 3 is with him.

Doesn't do anything to fix the relationship of all the Thomas' but at least this WIlliam Sculthorpe branch doesn't appear to lead to John Bull's wife, Rebecca

Alan