Author Topic: Orsett 1944  (Read 304 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Orsett 1944
« on: Friday 02 June 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
I have this photo in an old photo album and I was wondering if anybody might have any ideas why this gathering occurred? Are they wartime workers? Or just a random gathering of people to mark the day?

The reverse of the card has written on it - "Taken over at Mason's Onion Field, Orsett on 3/9/44 - National Day of Prayer."

I am guessing the flag and vehicle are part of J. Mason Ltd - presumably a local farmer?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orsett 1944
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
National days of prayer were held on the 3 September to mark the anniversary of when the UK entered ww2.

There are references on the internet of these events in 1943, 1944 and 1945.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.