Author Topic: William Thomas Dale and the Alnwick castle state coach - maybe?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomas Dale and the Alnwick castle state coach - maybe?
« on: Friday 02 June 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Every time I'm in Alnwick castle with my parents and we see the state coach, my dad tells me that one of his relatives is supposed to have painted it.

Whilst looking at his grandfather today (Wwilliam Thomas Dale born 1889 in Newcastle) I've just realised that the 1911 census has him as a painter at a cartwrights and that his dad and brother were blacksmiths at a cartwrights.

I've googled the coach and it appears that it was repainted around 1902:

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/local-news/dukes-daughter-ride-wedding-carriage-4440088

Can anyone suggest a way I can find out which company the Dale's worked for so I can try and put these together and see if it was actually them who did the work or not?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Dale and the Alnwick castle state coach - maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps ask next time you visit Alnwick if they have any details on who restored the carriage
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Ward's Newcastle Directory 1910

Dale & Co, Cartwrights Park Place , Prudhoe St
Robert (Dale & Co) Cartwright r 162 Hotspur St (residence?)

Was Robert William's father? Were they at Hotspur Street in 1911? The census should tell you if William's dad was an employee or an employer i.e.had his own business.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/utils/getfile/collection/p16445coll4/id/112440/filename/159748.pdfpage/page/454

You could also search the above directory for coach builders - more likely to have tended to the Duke's carriage than a cartwright.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Ward's Newcastle Directory 1910

Dale & Co, Cartwrights Park Place , Prudhoe St
Robert (Dale & Co) Cartwright r 162 Hotspur St (residence?)

Was Robert William's father? Were they at Hotspur Street in 1911? The census should tell you if William's dad was an employee or an employer i.e.had his own business.

Hi Fiddlerslass,

That is brilliant, thank you very much. Yes that is them, 162 Hotspur Street.

Robert is down as an employee but his son William is an employer so it may be the business had been signed over to him by then?

I've now been in contact with Alnwick Castle who say there is a plate on the back of the coach saying it was repainted for the coronation by a company in London, but I suppose the story never claimed that he painted it for the coronation, just that he had painted it.

Any other information they may hold is buried deep in their archives so it may stay a mystery for now but the bit you found about their company certainly adds a little weight to the chances of it happening.

Thanks again,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)