Author Topic: Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837  (Read 1316 times)

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837
« on: Friday 02 June 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone else out there researching the GREGORY family in Brixham who could help me find this marriage please? I thought that Robert and Elizabeth (my 3x great grandparents) married in about 1837 as their eldest child (my 2x great grandfather Robert Henry was born in 1838), but I cannot find their marriage. I have her DoB as 10th August 1816 as it is written inside a family Bible. She was baptised (Ann Elizabeth) on 25 August 1816 and she and Robert plus two sons are living in Sheepy Lane in Brixham on the 1841 census, although her age is wrong. I have searched the marriage indexes and gone through the parish records online page by page, but can't seem to find it. I would be so grateful for any help with this

Thanks in anticipation  :) :)
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
Always a possibility they weren't married - did they come from the same area do you know?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, both born in Brixham, both from fishing/mariner families. I can find marriages for everyone else except them  :-\. Their children were not all baptised in Brixham - baptisms occurred in other fishing ports including Ramsgate, Hull, so I have done a national search for the marriage too. I suppose they might not have married, but the fishing community was very tight knit and conventional, so it would be very unusual
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
I thought that Robert and Elizabeth (my 3x great grandparents) married in about 1837 as their eldest child (my 2x great grandfather Robert Henry was born in 1838),

Have you found a birth registration for Robert Henry Gregory - where was he born?

I can see one for George Henry Elliott Gregory in 1841 but have to agree there is no sniff of a marriage  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
1841 we have;
Robert Geyory, 25
EElizabeth Geyory, 20
Roberrt Geyory, 3
George Geyory, 1mth

George Henry Elliott Gregorys Birth Reg as Milliepede says has Mothers mn as Elliott

Cant find Birth Reg for Robert c 1838 under either Gregory (mothers mn Elliott0 or just Elliott with no Mothers mn.

No Marriage either.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
[quote author=LindaGregory152 link=topic=772627.msg6256294#msg6256294
She was baptised (Ann Elizabeth) on 25 August 1816 and she and Robert plus two sons are living in Sheepy Lane in Brixham on the 1841 census, although her age is wrong.
[/quote]

Ages of adults on the 1841 census are rounded down to the nearest 5 years - as she was 23/24 it would be shown as 20
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Brixham on 10 Jun 1838 for Robert Henry which also records his date of birth. He was baptised Robert George Elliott Gregory (son of Robert and Elizabeth), but on his marriage certificate has become Robert Henry. He had a brother George Henry Elliot Gregory b1841. I can find George on the Civil Registration birth index but not Robert. All very confusing!  ???

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Brixham on 10 Jun 1838 for Robert Henry which also records his date of birth. He was baptised Robert George Elliott Gregory (son of Robert and Elizabeth), but on his marriage certificate has become Robert Henry. He had a brother George Henry Elliot Gregory b1841. I can find George on the Civil Registration birth index but not Robert. All very confusing!  ???

Registration of Roberts birth may have been missed by the local registrar, it was not until the late 1870's that the onus was on the parent to register the birth.  Some parents thought it was sufficient to get the child baptised.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it would help to explain it. I have other evidence of his birth year on his master's certificate. It does seem odd that there is no evidence of any marriage between his mother and father though