Author Topic: Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Brixham on 10 Jun 1838 for Robert Henry which also records his date of birth. He was baptised Robert George Elliott Gregory (son of Robert and Elizabeth), but on his marriage certificate has become Robert Henry. He had a brother George Henry Elliot Gregory b1841. I can find George on the Civil Registration birth index but not Robert. All very confusing!  ???

Yes. All very confusing, but do keep in mind that you may not have the correct person.  [ I spent years thinking 2 sisters had married the same man, then eventually discovered my error as it was 2 cousins who had both been named for their grandfather.]
I have done lots of research for Brixham and often you will find several cousins of similar age, who have the same given and surnames.  A middle name might be added to make the difference between individuals.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert GREGORY Elizabeth Ann ELLIOT marriage BRIXHAM 1837
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 17 09:37 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your reply, but I do have other evidence to confirm that these are the correct two people (including a family bible), just not any evidence of a marriage, which is really frustrating. Oh well, perhaps they never did tie the knot! I have searched nationally, as various of the children were born elsewhere, but still no joy. Hey ho, the joys of genealogy! They lived apart for the last 20 years of their lives, both still in Brixham, but not together. Oh to have a window back to see what happened.
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire