Author Topic: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 May 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I'm wondering if I'm on another 'page' as according to the original requested search for David Bryce Tod; ''struggling to identify the burial location of my G. G. Grandfather, David Bryce Tod''. ''Died in Aberlady on 14th March 1919''.
I'm looking at the exact death details I have,  Father: David Tod, Architect, Mother: Ann Bryce Tod, but her Christian name was amended to read Jean. The son was James who acted as Informant to the death.
David was baptised David Bryce Tod, as we know, ''Tod'' being his Fathers name and ''Bryce  from his Mother. Namely, David Bryce Tod...the one we're tryiing to trace.
That's the information I have here Tom, downloaded from Scotlands People. What do you think.!

Ron.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 May 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Different facts from me. I have David Bryce Tod, was natural son of David Bryce and Janet Tod. On architect David Bryce's DC his parents were William Bryce, architect deceased and Agnes Tod, I am thinking maybe a relative of Janet Tod. I have found an 1851 census that has siblings, Janet, Agnes, Jean and John, staying at 30 Morrison Street, Edinburgh, but not proved them yet.

I have downloaded the death certificate of David Bryce Tod, there is an "error in col 5" as written in the margin. I think they have got their Tod's and Bryce's mixed up but cannot prove it yet. David Tod was not the architect, I have David Bryce's DC and he was an architect with Royal Scottish Academy.
So I am getting confused with the 2 death certificates.

Going to have a cup of tea, and think how to resolve this.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 May 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Just found this on Geni website,

https://www.geni.com/people/David-Bryce-R-S-A-F-R-I-B-A/6000000000797094096

David Bryce, R.S.A., F.R.I.B.A.
Birthdate:   April 3, 1803 (73)
Birthplace:   Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, Scotland
Death:   May 7, 1876 (73)
Place of Burial:   New Calton Cemetery
Immediate Family:   
Son of William Bryce and Agnes Todd
Partner of Janet Tod
Father of David Bryce Tod
Brother of William Bryce, Jr.; John Bryce and Ann Bryce

Sort of confirms you theory about buried at New Calton cemetery. I also notice the different spellings of Tod and Todd. I was thinking of him, having a liaison with his Aunt. A man is forbidden to marry his mother's sister(Aunt) See link below.
http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Tom

PS    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155374771/david-bryce

read all the info on this link.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 May 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info: food for thought for sure. .............Ron

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Ref: your second from last thread stating the Death Certificate of David Bryce Tod, ''with the error in the 5th column IS the person in question and is the one I have.  He was a Coach-builder to trade and his Father was the Architect named David Tod. who was married to Jean Bryce.

Seemingly Tom, you've got the surnames mixed, but your precise with a search for sure.....Ron.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

David Bryce Tod's natural father was David Bryce, the Architect. I am not sure if David Bryce Tod's son James knew about his fathers real parents or not, but he gave the registrar the wrong name of David Tod. He even gets his grandmothers name wrong, she was Janet Tod.

I am of the opinion that David Bryce, the Architect,  had an affair with his aunt, Janet Tod, and it was illegal for them to marry. As of any scandal those days, it would not have been talked about, and this would be possible reason that James Tod registered the wrong parents names.

Tom

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 May 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Great searching with the amount of good data you have there, I'm sure there's coverage for a hard-back book!!.. All interesting Tom, good luck.............................Ron.

Offline Happiness4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, All of you - this is my first post with RootsChat - and it is amazing to read about my ancestors being talked about. The person who started this post is my relative - but one generation on - When you read this R - I'm sending you my love and will email you. David Bryce, architect had an affair, we think, with his cousin, Jane or Janet Tod, the daughter of a Henry Tod, (who I think was a merchant, and the brother of David's mother Agnes Tod), that is, Jane Tod was David's cousin. Why they didn't marry is a mystery. Jane Tod had David Bryce Tod, their son, when she was about 39. She was from a well-to-do family, so we don't know why she never married beforehand, and more importantly, why she didn't marry the father of her son, David Bryce, who was a responsible man and who had supported his brothers' children.
The family story is that the Scottish law that accepted co-habitation as marriage was superseded in Scotland by the English law that stated there had to be a registration ceremony, or something! apparently Jane Tod said that by registering her cohabitation marriage she would have been saying that she was not married legally beforehand, so they didn't 'register' as the new law demanded.

A Jean Bryce with Jane Tods date of birth lived with David Bryce in his old age - we believe that this is Jane Tod, since there is no other 'Jean Bryce' to be found, and David Bryce, who must have filled in the censuses, often used pet names rather than the full names of family members.
There is a little square marker for David and Annie Bryce Tod in Aberlady churchyard - R - I will try to get someone to photo this for you. My brother David Kenneth Bryce Stafford, a descendant, is buried there, as are one of David Bryce Tod's daughters Jean Bryce Tod, and her daughter Davina (named for David Bryce the architect).
But David Stafford was told that there was no record of the bodies of David and Annie actually being interred. Thank you so much for all the amazing new information that I have found on this site about this family. The thing is now, I think, to look for the burial of James Tod, and that may well lead to where his parents are buried.
Please keep in touch, everyone, and thank you all for your information.
I live in the Wirral, but there are relatives still in Edinburgh

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
"There is a photo of the headstone, which proves that David Bryce Tod or wife Annie, was not in this grave."

This is a doubtful claim.   There must be millions of cases where a person has been buried in the grave of a previously deceased spouse or parent,   and nobody ever got around to adding their name to the existing tombstone.  Or, they put their name on a small supplementary tombstone, which is no longer present.