Author Topic: Margaret Ashworth  (Read 1048 times)

Offline AlisonLK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Ashworth
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone how are you? I wonder if you could help.
I'm trying to track my paternal great grandmother, Margaret Ashworth born 1893. She is recorded on LAN-OLPC as residing at Fishpool at the time of my grandmother Phyllis Ashworth's baptism at St James's in New Bury Farnworth in 1910. She also appears in the 1911 Census living as a boarder at the home of the White family; Phyllis was 6 months old at the time. However I can't seem to trace Margaret's parents or spouse (I wonder therefore if Phyllis may have been illegitimate). There is a Margaret in Lancashire BMD whose mother's maiden name is Seddon but how to be sure? I've also seen threads about an Ashworth family who kept changing their name to Spencer so wonder  if she could even be one of them?  :-\  I'm planning a trip back to Bolton shortly to have a good delve in records up there but if I can get a head start it would be fabulous. Many thanks in advance.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ashworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

The GRO online index shows the birth registration for Phyllis Ashworth, Sep qtr 1910 Bolton, with no separate mother's maiden name indexed.  This suggests the birth was out of wedlock.

No doubt you have also noted Margaret's marital status as recorded in 1911, and also the absence of a father's details on Phyllis' baptism. 

All four of the infants baptised in the parish of New Bury on 5 November 1910 were of single mothers, abode Fishpool - I wonder whether they were inmates of the workhouse there?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline AlisonLK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi avm228 thanks, it certainly looks that way doesn't it. Yes, I did see her marital status but I'm wondering if she may have married at a later stage. For now however I'm focusing my efforts on pinning down Margaret's parents. Thanks.  :)

Offline AlisonLK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Busily trawling through workhouse possibility as we speak!  :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Two birth registrations to look at:

Margaret Ashworth, mmn Seddon, Mar qtr 1893 Bolton (consistent with age 18 in 1911)
Margaret Ashworth, mmn Yates, Sep qtr 1894 Bolton (this one looks too young)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Actually it looks as though the Margaret Ashworth birth reg Sep qtr 1894 Bolton with mmn Yates died in the same quarter, aged 0.

That leaves the one you had found with mmn Seddon as the obvious candidate to follow up.  She is with parents William & Harriet at 2 Richmond Place, Bolton in 1901: RG13/3621/63/18.  I checked another of their children, Matilda b 1882 - confirms mmn Seddon.