Author Topic: Griffith Evans (born Dolgellau c, 1817) and Jane Williams (born Dolgellau c 125)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline gwyncid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

My Great-Great Grandfather was GRIFFITH EVANS who is shown as having been born at Dolgellau (Dolgelley) in the County of Merioneth circa 1817. He was a Railway Platelayer by occupation; and died at Bangor on the 17th November, 1900, at the age of 83 years (Certificate) - *suggesting birth year to have been 1817.

GRIFFITH is known to have wed at Bangor Cathedral on the 19th February, 1850 (Certificate), when he was shown to be "of Full
Age", a "Widower" and residing at "Menai Bridge Road, Bangor" . He was the son of one JOHN EVANS (Labourer).

The bride was JANE WILLIAMS, "of Full Age", "Spinster" of "Menai Bridge", the daughter of "John WILLIAMS, Farmer". She died
at Bangor on the 9th May, 1906, at the age of 81 years - *suggesting birth year as 1825/1826.

Due to unclear handwriting and consequent deciphering it was mistakenly believed over the years that JANE had been born in Llanwnda
(Caernarvon) and Llanwrnda (Mid-Wales), before I recently discovered that her birthplace had indeed been the hamlet of LLANWRIN (*then in
Merionethshire but now in Montgomery).

The children of the couple were: -

THOMAS, born Bangor 1865 - Died Bangor 8.10.1924 - Railway Worker
EVAN, born Bangor 1867 - Died Bangor 9.9.1930 - Railway Worker
GRIFFITH, born Bangor 1852 - Died Bangor ? - Railway Platelayer
ELLEN born Bangor 1861/1862 - Died Valley (Anglesey) 30.7.1933
JOHN, born Bangor 12.3.1853 - Died Bangor 8.10.1924 - Railway Platelayer
LAURA, born Bangor 1856 - Died Bodffordd (Anglesey) 9.7.1901
MARY GRACE ,born Bangor 1872 - Died Bangor 1957
OWEN, born Bangor 1858 - Died 20.5.18

For most of their lives the subject GRIFFITH and JANE EVANS resided in the "Treborth" area of Bangor, mainly at "Britannia Cottages".

What may a clue which I have been unable to capitalise on is that on a Census, one JOHN EVANS, a Miner, of Dolgellau, was a "Lodger" with Griffith and Jane. He was 2 Years older (b. 1815) than GRIFFITH. Given his origin and surname, I have considered that he MAY have been a brother to GRIFFITH.

I have failed, over two decades, to verify the birth details/parents of GRIFFITH and JANE; or find evidence of GRIFFITH’s first marriage.

Can anyone help?

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Evans (born Dolgellau c, 1817) and Jane Williams (born Dolgellau c 125)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
I see from your post in 2014 a suggestion was made that his birth was 1923/4, again in 1861 his birth is given as 1923.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k77/.

According to genuki statistically 9 out of 10 inhabitants of Dolgellau were nonconformist which does not help at all :)

He would have worked for the London northwestern railway, you may get a clue if you can find his railway records

Mike