Author Topic: Andrew Carey born Scotswood 1856 - last seen 1882  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Carey born Scotswood 1856 - last seen 1882
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Andrew Carey, son of Daniel Carey & Susannah (nee Stephenson.) Married Isabella Dodds in 1881 and in 1881 census they were in Dock  St, Cowpen. They had Jane (1881 - 84) Elizabeth c1882, Daniel c1884 & Joseph c1885. Also John Andrew 1887 - 1888.
In 1882 he was prosecuted for assault, along with his brother-in-law W P Hogan, his brother Robert Hogan & 2 more, but all were acquitted.  The Hogans (including Andrew's sister Mrs Hogan) went to Ohio & Pennsylvania in the early 1880's: sister Rosanna Carey (Mrs Carlyle) & family had previously gone to Pennsylvania, sister Elizabeth Carey (Mrs Carroll) & family also went to Ohio in the late 1880's. I can find nothing for Andrew after the birth of the 2 sons - no UK census, no death, no definitive USA census.
His wife Isabella still lived in Dock St with her 3 surviving children in 1891, recorded as head of house, "wife" and "married". Within the next couple of years she set up house with Thomas McDonough and had several children, the family eventually being recorded as Donnick. They never married and Isabella died in 1915.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Carey born Scotswood 1856 - last seen 1882
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:02 BST (UK) »

I can find nothing for Andrew after the birth of the 2 sons - no UK census, no death, no definitive USA census.

No I can't find anything either  ??? Perhaps a badly transcribed name  :-\

To help anyone else looking

On 1881 census his name is Anthony Carey bn 1858 Scotswood Northumberland
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WM-7DZJ

On 1861 Andrew Carey with parents bn 1856 Black Fell Durham
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ZW-ZLP

1891 Dock Street, Cowpen, Tynemouth
Bella   Carey  Wife   Married         1861   Bill quay      
Lizzie   Carey   Daughter         1884   Cowpen      
Daniel   Carey   Son                 1885   -      
Joseph   Carey   Son            1886   -      
Thomas   Carey   Brother   Single   1853   Labourer   Hexham   

There's this death

Andrew CAREY Age   78 bn 1855
Death quarter   1
Death year   1933
District   Merthyr Tydfil Glamorganshire
Volume   11A Page   1013
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Ladyhawk.

Hmm - an interesting death - I'll see if I can trace that chap back in time.

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Think that death could be for Andrew Carey, coal miner, born Ireland 1858  ???- in 1901 census he was in Tafarnanbach, Dukestown (Monmouth), Crickhowell, Breconshire with wife Bridget. Their first child Andrew) was born in Newport Monmouthshire in 1884 and others born in Newport and then Breconshire.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Would be logical to think he went to the US as well but if no obvious trace on census - can you find the Hogan family over there?  You have probably checked but he could be lodging with them or close by.

Any contenders from passenger lists?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Several trees have his death in 1892 but don't know where this came from  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 June 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Milliepede.
I've tracked the Hogans and all the Carey sisters throughout a range of US census, but Andrew doesn't appear to be with any of them. :'(
All of them seem to have crossed the pond pre 1890, so nothing on passenger lists for any of them, or for Andrew.
The relatives mainly settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and there were Andrew Carey events (marriages, bp of children, marriages of children, burials of several Andrew Careys) in Cleveland, but none of these seem to match with my man.
As he was a miner, perhaps he went to Pennsylvania instead with Robert Hogan or his sister Mrs Carlyle, who was married to a miner - but I haven't struck lucky yet. Then there's endless possibilities for mis recordings/transcriptions - Cary, Kerry, Curry, Cari etc.

I'm wondering if the 1892 death is a guesstimate, based on the fact that Andrew's wife Isabella said she was married in 1891, but by May 1893 she had had her first known child with Thomas. If Andrew had died, there was nothing to prevent them from marrying - all the children were registered with Thomas's surname and Isabella's maiden name of Dodds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 June 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Not necessarily going to help find him but the two children, Jane and John Andrew, were buried at Cowpen cemetery (1884 and 1888).  There was also another child, Mary Ann aged 5 weeks, buried there in 1890.  She could be a sibling but I can't tell from the cemetery records.

There are four other burials in the next 20 years - three children starting in 1909 and a young man of 21 then from 1919 no occurances of the name.

Christine

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 June 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Christine  :)
I've just looked up Mary Ann Carey on the new GRO index and she was indeed a sibling (mmn Dodds.) That birth could be significant because in 1891 Isabella was in Dock St Cowpen and still Mrs Carey, whilst Thomas McDonough was in Cramlington, lodging at the home of his married sister.The first known child I have for them was born 16 May 1893 (PR Our Lady & St Wilfrid).

So, the birth reg of Mary Ann suggests Andrew may not have "disappeared" as early as I'd thought, and fits in with the possible 1892 death Milliepede reported. However, I'm pretty sure that in the past I investigated deaths Eng & Wales, also overseas, and local newspapers, but couldn't find anything to mesh with that date in the on-line trees.

Back to the drawing board.