Author Topic: Andrew Carey born Scotswood 1856 - last seen 1882  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Carey born Scotswood 1856 - last seen 1882
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 June 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
Phodgetts (is it Phil?)
Thank you so much for your valuable and very welcome input. It's wonderful to be able to walk in the footsteps (metaphorically speaking) of those long gone and to get a feel of what they would have seen whilst going about their daily lives.
Cowpen, Cowpen Quay, Bebside, are now all just names my parents used when reminiscing about their pre-marriage lives. By the time I was beginning to take an interest in my roots, Blyth and its environs were much changed from the times of my "Irish lot."
I've really enjoyed browsing through some of the "bygone" threads on the site's Northumberland board.

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 June 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
With regards to the map in #14, may I ask if the timber yard was the same thing as the "prop yard"? During WW1 when many of the men were away, a woman, who later became an aunt by marriage, worked in the prop yard, which I know is long gone.
Was the prop yard for the unloading and storage of pit props for the local pits?

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 June 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes, I am Philip.

The Timber Yard marked on the map was there for the shipbuilders. There were some slips there for many years. It was a historic part of the river and Blyth was renowned for producing quality wooden ships prior to iron hulled vessels being made there.

The pit prop / timber yards by the time of WW1 were down at the South Harbour. You can see an image of what they were like here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/10635647046/in/album-72157641931957224/

If you are interested enough in Blyth and Cowpen you can see the books and postcards I have scanned here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/albums/with/72157641931957224

I'll apologise now for giving you such a diversion from your current research! Hehe

Enjoy

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 June 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
This map of the railways shows where the three main timber yards were in 1934.

You can select the size of hi-res image you want to look at here, the 'original' size being by far the clearest to read;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/8751020220/sizes/l

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 June 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, for that information about the prop yard, Philip.  :)
What a wonderful resource you've directed me to - I'm going to be very busy now over the next few days finding out about what "they" did at work, as well as where "they" lived.  ;D

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 June 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
If you're not back by Friday, would you like us to inform the police or a relative? I fear you may be gone quite some time  ;D

You might also enjoy looking in on this;

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page83.htm

P

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Philip, for that latest link.
A very wet day where I live, so no gardening possibilities, and I don't feel guilty for keeping on dipping into all the goodies you set out before me  ;D