Author Topic: Mariah Davison of Carnlough  (Read 1263 times)

Offline rptmaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mariah Davison of Carnlough
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
                  I have hit an early brick wall regarding my genealogical research.

My great grandmother is Mariah Davison who married Michael Davin in Carnlough around the early 1920s, my grandmother and her siblings have all past away and no one in the family knows anything about this side of the family as my grandmothers parents past away when she was very young. Is there anyone in the Glens area who might know or could advise on where to start searching!

Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mariah Davison of Carnlough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
The Northern Ireland marriage certificates here only go up to 1921-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
You can also use the site to search for Mariah's birth (births up to 1916 available)

GRONI (pay per view) have later marriages but can't see anything for Michael Davin 1921-1939.
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
I certainly wouldn't recommend the fAncestry method (i.e. working forward, based on conjecture), but it may be worth mentioning that Thomas Davison of Glenarm (circa 1793 - 1845), eldest son of Alexander Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane, is thought to have been the agent for Lady Londonderry's Carnlough estate from 1817 to 1843.

He had numerous sons, though they seem to have moved to Armagh, emigrated to Sydney, or else died young.  Not impossible ...

Many members of this family were buried in the churchyard of the 1st Presbyterian church, Broughshane.  Most commendably, near the entrance gate is a large board with a plan of the churchyard, each plot numbered, and an alphabetic index of names.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline HughH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
5.John Davison (13/04/1866) son of John Davison and Margaret Wilson, who had worked at Shilnavogie as a servant.  John was born at Ballymadrough, Islandmagee.  General labourer, lived Goldnagh, Glencloy, Carnlough in 1901 and Harphall in 1911.
Married in St John’s Chapel, Carnlough to Margaret (Maggie) McAuley (04/05/1874) born Killyharn, daughter of William Charles McAuley, herd and Maria (Campbell).  At time of Margaret’s marriage her father is a farmer, Carnlough.  On 1901 census Margaret was working as a shop keeper.
6.   Charles (Charlie) Davison (c1893) labourer
6.   Sarah Davison (29/08/1894)
6.   James Davison (c1896) on 1911 census boarding at Mill Street, Whiteabbey and working as a Spinning Flax Room Doffer.
6.   Maria (Mary) Davison (13/04/1897) born Lemnalary.  On 1911 census she was age 14, living at Nappan, Carnlough as a domestic servant to Hugh and Marion McGalliard.
6.   Maggie Davison (11/03/1899) born Aughermlagh.
6.   Patrick Davison (16/03/1901) born Gallinagh.  On 1911 census boarding in Mill Street Whiteabbey and recorded as at school but probably also working in the flax spinning mill.
6.   John (Jack) Davison (12/09/1904 - 1985) born Carnlough.
Married Martha Elizabeth Walker (1902 - 1985)
6.   Annie Davison (19/12/1905 born Carnlough.)
6.   Catherine Davison (31/12/1908) born Harphall, Carnlough.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Married in St John’s Chapel, Carnlough to Margaret (Maggie) McAuley (04/05/1874) born Killyharn, daughter of William Charles McAuley, herd and Maria (Campbell).  At time of Margaret’s marriage her father is a farmer, Carnlough. 

For reference - Marriage 1893

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1893/10596/5860226.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo