Author Topic: Margaret Singleton, orphan from England  (Read 1959 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Singleton, orphan from England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you rosie99 for the TNA website, that looks really hopeful, and for giving me hope that the Preston girl might still be the right one.  I hadn't thought about the Liverpool and Manchester part.       

I just discovered some of the Liverpool's Kirkdale Industrial School records are online or can be ordered on microfilm from the FamilySearch website:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=15297&query=%2Bplace%3A%22England%2C%20Lancashire%2C%20Liverpool%22&subjectsOpen=581945-50

hanes teulu thank you for the amazing death notice of Thomas Singleton and information about Maria S. Rye.  I just wish the marriage extract on Thomas Singleton & Jane Jackson had more information, so I could be sure this is the same man. 

rosie99, hanes teulu, & ShaunJ you have made my day, I can't wait to tell my sister.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 June 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Marriage: 16 Aug 1863 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Thomas Singleton - (X), 22, Spinner, Bachelor, Kilshaw St.
Jane Jackson - (X), 21, Weaver, Spinster, Ribbleton Lane
    Groom's Father: late John Singleton, Spinner
    Bride's Father: late John Jackson, Dresser
    Witness: James Waterhouse; Margaret Waterhouse, (X)
    Married by Banns by: Thos. Johnson, Curate
    Register: Marriages 1862 - 1863, Page 241, Entry 481
    Source: LDS Film 93997

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 June 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you Raybistre for the marriage record!!!  I really hope this couple is Margaret Singleton's parents.  Another thing to share with my sister, yeah!!!  Maybe that eliminates the death of Thomas Singleton of 11th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers? :'(   If both grandfather's were dead, then that might also (if her) explain why she was in the industrial school. 
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 07:38 BST (UK) »
If both grandfather's were dead, then that might also (if her) explain why she was in the industrial school.

I would doubt that in those days a grandfather would take on the responsibility of a young child with no other support.  She would more likely have been 'adopted' by another family member or even a neighbour/friend and her name changed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosie99, I was thinking maybe grandparents would take in a grandchild, but maybe not.  Times were hard.  I keep finding relatives in the workhouse, poor law records, or the more wealthy ones in bankruptcy.