Author Topic: Up. Nooks Clitheroe  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Up. Nooks Clitheroe
« on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
I have received a death certificate for a man, formerly living in Blackburn, who appears to have died in 1846 at 'Up. Nooks, Clitheroe. I am assuming this means 'Upper Nooks' - but I don't know.

I cannot find this address on census records by doing an address search for Nooks or Upper Nooks -- nor can I see anything in on line newspapers. Does anyone with local knowledge of Clitheroe, know what this address might be please.

(The death was registered by 'John Parkinson in attendance, Clitheroe'.
I don't know who this is and wondered if it was a physician -- but there don't seem to be any 'medical' people of that name in Clitheroe in 1841 or 1851 as far as I can see.)

Any assistance or pointers would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Up. Nooks Clitheroe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
The 1836 Registration Act required that
XXV. And be it enacted, That some Person present at the Death or in attendance during the last Illness of every Person dying in England after the said First Day of March, or in the case of the Death, Illness, Inability, or Default of all such Persons, the Occupier of the House or Tenement, or if the Occupier be the Person who shall have died, some Inmate of the House or Tenement in which such Death shall have happened, shall, within Eight Days next after the Day of such Death, give Information, upon being requested so to do, to the said Registrar,

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
There is a John Parkinson living at Upbrooks  :-\

1851 2256/149/45

Heywood

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan. That is useful. Heywood -- thank you - good find, I'll look at that one.

Please ignore my reference to John Parkinson possibly being a medical person. I have belatedly realised that the deceased person's second wife was named Parkinson. Likely to be a brother or relative of her then. It's not her father. She is in Blackburn in 1851 - having remarried there earlier that year.

The deceased was part of a family living in Blackburn who had formed an Iron Foundry there - but it looks like he left that company.

I just can't figure out why he was suddenly at this unknown address in Clitheroe - which clearly is Up. Nooks - but may be an error. Off to explore Upbrooks!
Places of interest;

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
and what was the name of the person that died
their burial record may have the last place of abode
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 17 10:56 BST (UK) »

I just can't figure out why he was suddenly at this unknown address in Clitheroe - which clearly is Up. Nooks - but may be an error. Off to explore Upbrooks!

If it is a modern transcription, it may have been copied wrongly. ???

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan. That is useful. Heywood -- thank you - good find, I'll look at that one.

Please ignore my reference to John Parkinson possibly being a medical person. I have belatedly realised that the deceased person's second wife was named Parkinson. Likely to be a brother or relative of her then. It's not her father. She is in Blackburn in 1851 - having remarried there earlier that year.

The deceased was part of a family living in Blackburn who had formed an Iron Foundry there - but it looks like he left that company.

I am sure you will have found the Upbrook Bobbin mill on the old map by now.

Mike

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:18 BST (UK) »

I am sure you will have found the Upbrook Bobbin mill on the old map by now.

Mike

That is the John Parkinson reference I gave earlier but Pennines was still thinking of Up Nooks at the time.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help.
I will actually never know why the deceased was in Clitheroe and died there. The John Parkinson does not seem to be connected to his second wife's family (on the face of it.)

I have attached the relative portion of the death certificate just for info - definitely says Up Nooks (to me anyway) - but from what you have found this must be an error.

Many thanks as always for assistance and suggestions received. Much appreciated.
Places of interest;