Author Topic: Ballarat Hotels  (Read 3681 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballarat Hotels
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,
I have some information that may help, Thomas Dutton ( widower 1882 )age, 62, born in Manchester England to Samuel Dutton and Mary Ann Adams, Stoker married 7 April 1885 at the Bute Hotel to Elizabeth Jane Smith ( widow 1882 ) age 56, domestic, daughter of John Gale Maddox and Rebecca Clipperfield, born in Hobart
Cheers
Craig :) ;) :) :)

Offline ronwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 June 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
The reference to "Skipton or Shipton Street" would definitely be Skipton Street.  It has been known by that name since the very early mining era, as it was (and still is) the road to the town of Skipton, which is 51 kilometres south-west of Ballarat.

Re hotels, I believe that a quite detailed book on Ballarat hotels was published several years ago.  I presume copies would be available in the local library.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
CLARK, Australia
MEDEL, Philippines
RESPALL, Philippines & Spain
WOODS, Australia

Offline pennymercer127

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been researching the Bute Hotel because my ancestor, Eliza Williams had the license in 1866. I've found a description that said it had two parlors, four bedrooms, a kitchen and out houses.

Was Elizabeth's first husband William Smith? If so, I think he assaulted Eliza Williams in 1865.

There's a web site about Ballarat pubs: https://ballaratpubs.miraheze.org/wiki/Bute_Hotel_(Peel_Street)
Mercer, Baulch, Craig, Mullins, Hearle, Wilson, Sharrock, Curran, McMillan, Johnson, Maxwell, Phelps, Hulm, Jasper, McElwee, Bryant, Garwood, Evans, Locke, McGill, McDevitt, Madders, Faulkner, Murphy, Bowles, Garwood

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi pennymercer127, you are correct , Elizabeth's first husband was William Henry Smith, I will have  a look at you shared link,
Cheers, Craig