Author Topic: John Logan EVANS - Howell County, Missouri  (Read 1452 times)

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
  • Koondrook-Barham Bridge over the Murray
    • View Profile
Re: John Logan EVANS - Howell County, Missouri
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 June 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa:  I have checked the 1870 Mortality Schedule.  It covers from June 1869 to June 1870.  As is becoming the norm with this family, Sewel/Sowel (or anything like that) does not appear.  So perhaps he died before then and it took time to get things together for the probate of the estate.  I have checked deaths from 1860 to 1870 without finding him.  Most interesting.

Thanks for your continued interest and support.
Glenys
Adams - Dorset, Wilts, Austl
Bridges -London, Kent, Austl
Alloway - Wiltshire, Cornwall, Devon, Austl
Petherick -Devon, Cornwall
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Paulin -Northumberland, Scotland, Australia
Trimmer - Hampshire, Austl
Russell - Kent, London, Austl
Harrison - Westmorland, Northumberland, London, Austl
Lewin - London, Surrey, Austl
Ludgater - London, Surrey
Thornborough/Hadath - Westmorland, Cornwall, Devon, Lancs
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
Could Sowel have died away from home?  Could the family have gone to the location of his death, which might explain why they have not yet been found in the 1870 census?  Or, did the family relocate some time after 1860 to another state/locality and been in transit during 1870 (returning to Kentucky)?  I don't think the probate paper specifically states that he died in Kentucky.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
You are right Lisa, it does not say that he died in Kentucky or that John and Gentry were residents of Kentucky.  I've wondered too about being "on the road" when the 1870 census was taken.  For the whole family to be missing just seems too unusual.  However, I've looked country-wide (Mortality schedule and 1870 census) for them without success.
I tried to call the Daviess County Probate Clerk yesterday, but all I can get is a recording.  I will try again - I was thinking they might have other papers on Sowel's estate that could give me a lead.

Again, thanks for your interest.
Glenys
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenys:

You're welcome; I don't like to give up when I think there is a chance to find more.   ;D

I tried looking for John Evans and his family (from the 1850 Southern District, Rockcastle Census), as according to the census, John was born in North Carolina (like Sowel) and was shown three entries above Sowel.  Could they have been related?

After a somewhat brief search, I have not yet found John's family in the 1800's, after 1850.  I wonder if they were related and can be found together?

Perhaps someone at the Rockcastle Library could point you toward online, free genealogy resources?  Or, perhaps they may have copies of old newspapers?  Note: Some North American libraries do not charge for "simple" questions about genealogy, but a few do have small fees associated with providing information.
http://www.rockcastlelibrary.org/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Kentucky newspapers that could be searched for the Evans (if you haven't already tried)?
http://kdl.kyvl.org/catalog

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 June 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Lisa.  Unfortunately checked there and nothing found. 

Fasham - Kent, Australia