Author Topic: G, Dyer, Hertfordshire Regiment (service no 5580  (Read 404 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
G, Dyer, Hertfordshire Regiment (service no 5580
« on: Monday 05 June 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

im looking for any information regarding the above casualty.

The only thing I know about him is that he is buried in Lonsdale Cemetery, France
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: G, Dyer, Hertfordshire Regiment (service no 5580
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
His medal index card gives the first name of George.  His service record appears not to have survived. There is a register of soldiers effects on ancestry which will give you where and to whom his final payments were sent.

Date of death is 14 or 15 October 1916 and given he was in 1st Herts which was in 118th Brigade, 39th Division and fighting in the Battle of Ancre Heights at this time. They had only moved over to France in March 1916 so he wasn't there a long time at all. Have a look at the Long Long Trail website and then the National Archives for the war diary.

In one of the attached documents on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site there is a map reference for where his body was located of 57d.Q30.d.3.2.  The National Library of Scotland has WWI trench maps from which you may be able to find this reference.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk