Author Topic: James Thacker and Hannah Stickley (Northamptonshire and Warwickshire)  (Read 2114 times)

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I am wondering if there's anyone that can help me learn more about this family. Do you think you can help me sort things out?
My GGG Grandfather James Thacker married Hannah Stickley on 9 October 1826 in Leamington Priors All Saints. James was christened 08 Dec 1799 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire. Hannah was christened 20 October 1799 in Butlers Marston, Warwickshire.

I have some information suggesting that prior to this communion James married Ann Plomer on 16 February 1823 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire. I have a copy of a parish register stating they were married by banns. James was from Appletree and Ann was from Aston.

I also believe they had one son, whom they named Richard. I believe this Richard is listed as a  brother and nephew to James who is living with my GGGG Grandfather Thomas Thacker in the 1851 census. He's 26, putting his birth date around 1825. He is in the other census's as well. It appears my GGGG Grandfather raised him.

I haven't been able to find a death date for Ann Plomer Thacker though. This is one of the things I'd like looked up.

According to my records, Hannah Stickley had a child she name Sarah christened on 19 April 1825 in Butlers Marston, Warwickshire. Sarah was buried 19 Dec 1825 in Butlers Marston. I only have transcriptions and have not seen these parish records. I'm wondering if looking this up will verify that Sarah was an illegitimate child of Hannah's.

My records also show that James and Hannah had 8 children together. The eldest, my GG Grandfather Richard, born 22 May 1827 Leamington, Warwickshire and christened on 20 January 1828 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire; the 2nd was Elizabeth, christened on 22 November 1829
in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire; the 3rd was Sarah, christened on 06 May 1832 in Aston le Walls,Northampton; the 4th was Eleanor, christened on 16 June 1833 in Aston-le-Walls, Northamptonshire; the 5th was William Harold, christened on 18 Jun 1837 in Leamington Priors All Saints; the 6th child, Nancy Thacker: I have no verification for. She was supposedly born around 1840. She's not found in any census, so she died prior to 1841 or was born after the census in 1841 and died prior to 1851 or perhaps she's a myth. I suspect that, in consideration of the news report discussed later in this post, if she's real, she died prior to 1843. The 7th child is Thomas, christened 09 February 1840 in Hartshorne, Derbyshire. I really question this, as the family was extremely poor. A 1-year-old Thomas is in the 1841 census with them, but if you could, please try to find a birth and death date closer to Leamington. Thomas died prior to 1851 as the 1841 census is the only one he's listed in. I suspect both Nancy and Thomas died prior to 1842.

There is a news report on 18 February 1843 that tells about the accidental death of Eleanor. It mentions the birth of James and Hannah's "sixth" child Mary Ann. According to the article, Mary Ann, christened 16 July 1843 would have been born on 8 February 1843. It makes sense that whatever neighbor gave the information about this birth wouldn't have known about the death of Nancy and Thomas. The news article also reports that James was unemployed at the time.

Hannah Stickley was buried on 12 December 1853 in Leamington Priors, Warwickshire.
James married Hannah Baldain on 25 May 1854 in Leamington Priors, Warwickshire (Prior marriages William Smith and John Needle). I don't have death dates for either prior husband. It would be nice to have them.

Thanks for all your help. There's more, but for now, this is plenty!!!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Thacker and Hannah Stickley (Northamptonshire and Warwickshire)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
First of all - Thomas c. 1840 Hartshorne Derbys is not of your family -but is the son of a different James & Hannah

Church St Hartshorne Derbys
James Thacker Head M 60 ag lab
Hannah wife 60
Thomas son 21 Clay Miner
all b hartshorne Derbys
RG9 2268 45 4

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
From image
Hills Buildings leamington Warwicks
James Thacker 40 lab No
Hannah 35 No
Richard 14 yes
Elizabeth 10 no
Sally 9 no (I expect this is Sarah?)
Ellen 7 Y
William 4 Y
Thomas 1 Y
HO107 1135 10

there is this baptism from image
Leamington Priors All Saints
10 Dec 1843 Thomas Thacker son of James & Ann
address Leamington
father's occ Labourer
maybe he was baptised as a child?

3 Hills Buildings Leamington Warwicks
James Hacker Head M 50 Appletree Northants
Hannah wife 51 Butlers M
Sarah daughter 19 Appletree Northants
William son 14 Wood lab Leamington
Mary Ann daughter 9 (or 8 -transcribed as 3) Railway lab Leamington
HO107 2072 216 39

Springfield St Leamington
James Thacker Head M 61 lab Appletree Northants
Hannah wife 61 Culworth Northants
Mary daughter 18 Leamington
William son Married Leamington
Ellen daughter in law M 23 Northants
Emily Jane daughter (should be granddaughter) 3 leamington
Clara daughter 7mths leamington
RG9 2220 56 11

where did yo find a ref to Nancy??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am wondering if there's anyone that can help me learn more about this family. Do you think you can help me sort things out?
My GGG Grandfather James Thacker married Hannah Stickley on 9 October 1826 in Leamington Priors All Saints. James was christened 08 Dec 1799 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire. Hannah was christened 20 October 1799 in Butlers Marston, Warwickshire.

I have some information suggesting that prior to this communion James married Ann Plomer on 16 February 1823 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire. I have a copy of a parish register stating they were married by banns. James was from Appletree and Ann was from Aston.

I also believe they had one son, whom they named Richard. I believe this Richard is listed as a  brother and nephew to James who is living with my GGGG Grandfather Thomas Thacker in the 1851 census. He's 26, putting his birth date around 1825. He is in the other census's as well. It appears my GGGG Grandfather raised him.

I haven't been able to find a death date for Ann Plomer Thacker though. This is one of the things I'd like looked up.

According to my records, Hannah Stickley had a child she name Sarah christened on 19 April 1825 in Butlers Marston, Warwickshire. Sarah was buried 19 Dec 1825 in Butlers Marston. I only have transcriptions and have not seen these parish records. I'm wondering if looking this up will verify that Sarah was an illegitimate child of Hannah's.

My records also show that James and Hannah had 8 children together. The eldest, my GG Grandfather Richard, born 22 May 1827 Leamington, Warwickshire and christened on 20 January 1828 in Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire;

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
are we following different Richards??

Baptism
Page 15 entry 115
Aston le Wall
20 Jan 1848
Richard Thacker son of James & Hannah
address Appletree
father's occ labourer

Richard is age 14 with family in 1841(previously posted)

but it seems Richard is not the one with Thomas in 1851??

Marriage from image
Leamington Priors
30 Aug 1838
Richard Thacker fa Bachelor labourer of Tachbrook St father James Thacker occ lab
Sarah Steel spinster Leamington father William Steel labourer
witnesses Elizabeth Thacker (Richard's sister??) and Henry Ru??s
Richard signs others made their mark

Richard Thacker Head M 23 lab leamington
Sally (Sarah in next census) wife 21 Weston
Ellen daughter 2 leamington
Emma daughter 9mths leamington
Ann Nicholls visitor W 56 laundress Leamington
Mary Titmus visitor U 20 servant
HO107 2072 214 35

Suz

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
First of all - Thomas c. 1840 Hartshorne Derbys is not of your family -but is the son of a different James & Hannah

Church St Hartshorne Derbys
James Thacker Head M 60 ag lab
Hannah wife 60
Thomas son 21 Clay Miner
all b hartshorne Derbys
RG9 2268 45 4

Suz

I am referring to what is recorded in familysearch. Thank you for finding the correct family for Thomas. I was quite certain the christening record attached to him was incorrect. I will make the necessary corrections.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 16:19 BST (UK) »

there is this baptism from image
Leamington Priors All Saints
10 Dec 1843 Thomas Thacker son of James & Ann
address Leamington
father's occ Labourer
maybe he was baptised as a child?

Springfield St Leamington
James Thacker Head M 61 lab Appletree Northants
Hannah wife 61 Culworth Northants
Mary daughter 18 Leamington
William son Married Leamington
Ellen daughter in law M 23 Northants
Emily Jane daughter (should be granddaughter) 3 leamington
Clara daughter 7mths leamington
RG9 2220 56 11

where did yo find a ref to Nancy??

Suz

Yes, it is quite likely James was christened as a child, however, Mary Ann was christened in July 1843. Wouldn't they have christened James at the same time? Is it possible they didn't realize he wasn't christened then, and when they became aware of it, they did it. Or prehaps Mary Ann was ill and they had to christen her right away. However, Richard, Eleanor, William and Mary Ann's christening records all list Hannah as the mother. These are the only christen records I have an source for. Would it be common for James's mother to be listed differently? We know Thomas died prior to 1851, maybe you can find a burial record.

Oh! I just noticed something. Hannah Stickley was buried on 12 December 1843. Perhaps James is another child, named after his deceased brother, or perhaps the priest christened him when he was called. Hannah probably died the same day James was christened.

Yes, you are correct, in the 1861 census, both Emily and Clara are grand children.

Nancy is listed in familysearch. I too, am wondering where she came from. There is absolutely no evidence supporting her existence. I was hoping you'd find something. I don't want to remove her until I am certain she doesn't belong.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
are we following different Richards??

I suspect James Thacker had two sons named Richard. One was the son of Ann Plomer, born about 1825; the other the son of Hannah Stickley born 1827. Ann's child appears in the 1841 census with his grandfather and uncle. I supsect his grandparents raised him.

Thomas Thacker   M   25-29           Northamptonshire
Rachel Thacker      F   30-34           Northamptonshire
James Thacker      M   9                   Northamptonshire
Thomas Thacker   M   65-69           Northamptonshire
Richard Thacker      M   18-22           Northamptonshire
William ???Er      M   9                   Northamptonshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
so the eldest Richard is
Thomas Thacker widower 78 Invalid Pauper
Thomas Thacker Head 39 M ag lb
Rachel wife 41
Richard Thacker U 26 ag lab brother in law crossed through and nephew entered
all b Appletree
HO107 1734 145 14

I am wondering if this Richard was maybe the illegit son of Hannah Thacker (daughter of Thomas and sister of Thomas who married Rachel)

I have not yet been able to find a baptism but on select marriages Richard Thacker m Elizabeth Truman8 Sept 1858 Brimington Derbys - no father is entered on this record
It may be worth purchasing the marriage cert to see if there is a father entered

Suz