Author Topic: James Thacker and Hannah Stickley (Northamptonshire and Warwickshire)  (Read 2118 times)

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Thacker and Hannah Stickley (Northamptonshire and Warwickshire)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
Partial Transcription: Marriage solemized at the parish church in the parish of Asten le Walls in the County of Norhamptonshire 18 April 1852 Richard Thacker, 28, bachelor, Labourer, residence Appletree, father James Thacker (no occupation listed) and Eliza Dewe, 21, spinster (no occupation given) residence Aston le Walls, father Thomas Dewe, Labourer
Witnesses William Dewe and Hannah Dewe

No burial record for Eliza Dewe Thacker, and no known children.

Then Elizabeth Barker, previous marriage to Thomas Trueman (the marriage you referred to.)
1861 England Census
about Richard Thacker Name: Richard Thacker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Thacker
Where born: Appletree, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Brimington
Town: Brimington
County/Island: Derbyshire

Household schedule number: 75
Piece: 2531
Folio: 34
Page Number: 12
Household Members: Name Age
Richard Thacker 37
Elizabeth Thacker 33
Ann M Thacker 3
Elizabeth Thacker 2
Rachel E Thacker 2 Months

Ann Mary is actually a Trueman.

No burial record for Elizabeth Barker Trueman Thacker
Children:
Elizabeth Thacker c 24 JUL 1859 Brimington,Derby
Rachel Emma Thacker c 24 FEB 1861 Brimington,Derby
Sarah Ann Thacker c 08 MAY 1863 Brimington,Derby
Emma Jane Thacker c 11 MAR 1866 Brimington,Derby
Sarah Annie Thacker c 11 MAR 1866 Brimington,Derby

Name   Richard Thacker
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1871
Event Place   Brimington, Brimington, Derbyshire, England
Enumeration District   27Richard Thacker   Head   M   47   Appletree, Northamptonshire
Rebecca Thacker   Wife   F   53   Wootford, Northamptonshire
Elizabeth Thacker   Daughter   F   11   Brimington, Derbyshire
Ann Mary W Freeman   Stepdaughter   F   13   Brimington, Derbyshire

I don't have a clue what happened to Elizabeth and the girls. I can't help but wonder if an illness or something took them all in March of 1866, with Sarah Annie being christened a second time for some reason. I also have no idea when Richard married Rebecca.

Uncle Thomas is living with Richard and Rebecca in 1881 and Richard is living with his daughter Elizabeth's family in 1891.

I believe both Richards are James's sons.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 June 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
I thought I posted this last night, but I don't see it, so I'll post again. Please forgive me if it's a duplicate post! Perhaps it'll be easier if we break this into bite size pieces. I'd like to begin with Hannah Stickley. Hannah Stickley c 20 October 1799 in Butlers Marston, Warwickshire. I believe her parents are Richard Stickley and Hannah Chester. They were married 15 November 1790 in Kineton, Warwickshire. Hannah siblings I have christening records for are Josiah c  18 January 1795 in Butler's Marston; Richard c 11 July 1802 in Butlers Marston; John c 24 February 1805 in Pillerton Priors and Hersey, Warwickshire; and Thomas c 21 June 1807 in Pillerton Priors and Hersey. Another child Ann is attached to the family in familytree, but herchristening record records her mother as Elizabeth: Ann c 7 Aug 1796 in Butlers Marston.

It would be nice to find out more about Ann and see if we can find her family.

I'm also interested in Sarah Stickley c 9 April 1825 in Butlers Marston and buried 19 Dec 1825 in Butlers Marston. I'd like to find out if she's the illegitimate daughter of Hannah, or if she belongs to a different family also.

I am also wondering if there were additional children.

Thanks again for all you do! This is a great service and I appreciate the time and effort of your volunteers and staff. (if you have any) :D

Offline avrilnewey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I accidentally came across your message this afternoon - i have only just joined RootsChat. Thomas
(Strickley) was my great-great-great grandfather - my father's great-great maternal grandfather. He lived in Kenilworth, Warwickshire from the end of the 1820's after marrying Fanny? who came from Birmingham. They were a very poor family. I think it may be difficult for me to find out more about Fanny as, at present as I'm having to limit my expenditure (so no Ancestry.com!). He and Fanny had, at least, 8 children. My great -great grandmother was their eldest daughter, Ann, who married James Hope, a woodsman on the Stoneleigh Abbey estate. Thomas Strickley died in Kenilworth in 1877. One of his sons, Richard, having lived 'at the back of Ickneild Street East', Birmingham became? blind and in the 1891 census isis registered as a pauper in the Hatton, Warwick workhouse, where I believe he subsequently died.

The surname is interesting because I knew (I am 77) a family in Kenilworth called Stickley, who my mother confirmed came from Kineton and so I  assume that the two families had the same root - Kineton, Butlers Marston and Pillerton Hersey, being so close together (Pillerton Hersey Church is very beautiful, sadly I have always found Butlers Marston church locked whenever I have visited it).
My mother also told me that the Stickley family had gypsy blood and, fascinatingly, my father's family said there was gypsy blood in the Strickley line. Certainly my aunt once told me that Ann, who practiced as a local midwife was once called out one night by travelling gypsies to attend to a young gypsy wife who was giving birth in her caravan. On their return to Kenilworth the following year they took Ann a shawl as a thank you present. 

I'm fascinated to see that Thomas's mother was Hannah Chester, can we assume that her father's
bloodline came from Cheshire, I wonder?  I most of all enjoy finding which parts of England my family strands link back to.

Thank you for your information. I hope that something here will be of interest to you.

Kindest

Avril     

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Is this Thomas and Fanny in 1841 census:
Living in Kenilworth at Castle End:
Thos Strickly   30
Fanny Strickly   30
Ann Strickly   10
Wm Strickly   8
Thos Strickly   6
Ricd Strickly   3
Hanh Strickley   1  all born locally.

If so, this is probably Hannah's birth from GRO, which gives fanny's maiden name:
Hannah Strickley  mmn Richardson  June quarter 1840 in Warwick Union