Author Topic: Wellpark Parish Church - Greenock  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wellpark Parish Church - Greenock
« on: Monday 05 June 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find photographs of Wellpark Parish Church that was on Lynedoch Street in Greenock. I think it was demolished in 2002:

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/13983926.Wellpark_church/

I can see that Canmore have some but they're not viewable online.

Thanks for any help.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Wellpark Parish Church - Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Is this it ?

https://hubpages.com/travel/Greenock-Then-and-Now

About half way down page ... Well Park, Greenock, 1964
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks sugarbakers - great links.  I've been doing a bit more digging into this and the Minister for the marriage in 1900 was a Rev William Wilson.  I've found him listed in the 1899-1900 Greenock Post Office Directory as follows:

WELLPARK PARISH CHURCH-Regent Street.
  Minister— Rev. William Wilson, 17 Finnart Street

So the "Well Park Parish Church" I'm looking for was on Regent Street it seems.  The problem is there seems to have been several churches named Well Park in close proximity.  There was Well Park MidKirk (it's not this one) as well as a Well Park West Church which apparently was on the corner of Regent Street and Roxburgh Street.  The one in the photos looks like it was on the corner of Regent Street and Lynedoch Street.  I guess the one William Wilson could have been the Minister of either of them since Regent St seems to be involved for both.  It all depends on what the one on the corner of Regent and Lynedoch was named I suppose.

Thanks for your help.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Ummm ... I've had a good search but can find nothing helpful. 1901 census shows him living at 17 Finnart St, Minister of Gospel, but that's a decent walk from both churches.

I was about to suggest you ask the very helpful folks at the McLean Museum and Art Gallery, but that's closed for the duration.

Somewhere there must be a list of Ministers for each church. Does the Church of Scotland (for the Parish Church) have a central archive ?

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, another place to try would be the Watt Library in Greenock.  They hold lots of archive material.  isk

Offline didi55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
The church that was on the corner of Regent Street and Antigua Street was the East Kirk.  Probably not helpful to you, but it was another of the churches on Regent Street.

The church at the corner of Regent Street and Roxburgh Street, was called Wellpark West Church, if my memory serves me correctly.  I don't remember a church on the corner of Regent Street and Lynedoch Street - are you sure there was one there?

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a Facebook page called 'Greenock in old photos' they are very helpful and have hundreds of pictures of Greenock

Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 July 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
I remember the Well park parish church being demolished it is the one in the picture on the Greenock then and now site, the buildings beside the church are the Well park buildings they are still there, new houses built on this site, East Kirk, the picture in the second link sugarbakers posted,the one with the blue car at the junction of Lynedoch street and Regent street on the site now is East kirk Court, not sure if the church at the corner of Regent street was west Kirk but will try and find out tomorrow, new flats built on this site too,
Elaine
Wellpark parish church was church of Scotland
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison