Author Topic: 1851 Irish Census Search Confusion  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Irish Census Search Confusion
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Did Peter marry? if so, was his wife from Ireland?

He did, but I believe she was American. I think her maiden name was Dennis - don't know where that's from. I'll double check if her family was from Ireland.

Offline prharkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Alonza0---New to this site today having found your post about the "confusion." I'm also looking to clarify confusion regarding a McCahill ancestor, specifically Hugh McCahill, my 2x great grandfather (b.1836, d.1909 in Sheskinarone), who is listed as 15 years old in the 1851 Census Abstract form for your Peter McCahill. I've had no luck finding where Hugh came from although I have confirmed he's an ancestor match based upon information about him from the 1901 and 1911 Irish census, and civil marriage and death records for Donegal. So, I'm wondering if your 2x great grandfather, Charles, and my 2x great grandfather, Hugh, were the brothers of Peter? Hugh had 4 children with Sophia O'Donnel. Hugh Jr. died in 1864 in Aphort. Son Feragil, my great grandfather, died on the Western Front Easter weekend, 1916. Feragil's only son, Patrick, my grandfather, immigrated to Bayonne, NJ in mid-1920s.

Any information you have and can share about your "family's information from 1851" would be greatly appreciated as it may rule in or rule out whether Hugh was from the McCahill's of Drumnalost.

Thanks.

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pharkins - I'm sorry to say, but I don't think your Hugh is the same as the one on this census search form. I mentioned that the Peter here settled in Columbia, Pennsylvania, and it seems some of his other siblings did too, including Cormick, Michael, and... Hugh.

When the Peter I mentioned in Columbia died, the informant listed his birth parents as "William McCall" and "Mary Thomas" of "Drimloost, Ireland." This isn't quite an exact match, but it's pretty close to the parents listed on Cormick's death certificate ("Wm McCall" and "C Thomas" of Drimlost, Ireland) and Hugh ("William McCall" and "Catherine Thomas" of Ireland). The Hugh from Drimalost settled in Steelton, Pennsylvania, near Columbia, and married Annie Keogh. He fathered four children, before passing away in 1913. I'm happy to link you to these documents on Ancestry, if you'd like.

Sorry I couldn't help you prove this link, but hopefully this at least eliminates one of the possible options for you.