Author Topic: Guthrie family trees  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Reid Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guthrie family trees
« on: Monday 05 June 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any/all recorded/posted Guthrie trees in/from Northumberland. I believe my ancestors lived in Northumberland in the 1600 and 1700's and possibly before that. My relatives may very well still be living in Northumberland.
The Guthrie Family

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Guthrie family trees
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea of the area they were from?  Northumberland is a big county :)

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reid Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Trini..

Thank you for answering my message. I believe they may be from Bewick Folly, parish of Eglingham, and/or parish of Chatton. My paper trail ends with Thomas Guthrie marrying Hannah Bradford in Leeds, England on December 1794. I guess Thomas to be in his mid 20's, at that time, which makes his birthday be around 1770.. I am seeking a Guthrie family tree From a Guthrie who lives in Northumberland that leads back to a Guthrie in Leeds, England. If this fails can other Northumberland Guthrie's, around 1770, be located?

Thanks again for your help,  Reid W Guthrie
The Guthrie Family

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Reid

As Trini says, it's a big county so it's not going to be a simple exercise to locate any people called Guthrie.

Can I suggest that you start with a search on freereg.  I tried Guthrie Northumberland without dates or specific parishes and there were too many to display!  Narrow the search a little and you could find the people you are looking for.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/new

Christine

Offline Reid Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine.

Thank you for checking Northumberland for me. I will now try freereg as you suggested.
The Guthrie Family

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering how you know that Thomas Guthrie originated from Northumberland?

When Thomas Guthrie died in 1846 his age is given as 79 making a birth date circa 1767 - I note that his  children were baptised in a non-conformist church so this may well be his baptism:

Thomas Guthrie b.20/5/1767, bp.25/5/1767 West Chapel Presbyterian, NC, Wooler, Northumberland, son of William and Elizabeth (I note his first son named William).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reid Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette 7
I was excited to see your question about how I knew that Thomas Guthrie was from Northumberland. I don't really know that he was from Northumberland. He was the most promising Thomas Guthrie I had found in my search because his family names were the same as my family names. What also excites me is how do you know that Thomas Guthrie of Leeds, England died in 1846? I never knew that. I am hoping to find a Northumberland Thomas Guthrie family tree that would lead back to Leeds, England. 

Reid W. Guthrie
The Guthrie Family

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thomas Guthrie and wife Hannah are both in Leeds on 1841 census with dau.(?) Elizabeth 25.

No sign of Thomas and Hannah in 1851 and death index shows:

Thomas Gutherie June quarter 1846 Hunslet (district Leeds) aged 79 (bc.1767).

Hannah Guthrie Dec.quarter 1847 Hunslet aged 76 (bc.1771).

(By the way, don't you mean you are hoping to find a Northumberland Thomas Guthrie tree going 'forward' to Leeds rather than back?)

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reid Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette 7
I am hoping to find a Northumberland Guthrie family who lives in Northumberland now, or who has/had relatives living in Northumberland who has a Guthrie family tree leading back to the 1760/1770's. I believe I may have relatives living in Northumberland now, who are related to Thomas Guthrie of Leeds, England. I believe the Guthrie family in Northumberland goes back to the 1560's when Scotland and England had a short war and Scotland lost. The Guthrie Clan fought in that war with other clans. Annette 7 you are really getting me excited about all this....thank you...
Reid W Guthrie

The Guthrie Family