Author Topic: Thomas Moy Coventry  (Read 185 times)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Moy Coventry
« on: Monday 05 June 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me with sorting through some quite confusing info on the Moy - Milner Families of Coventry.
The info I have at the moment is my relative Sarah Milner Moy - Father Thomas. There is no birth registration for a Sarah Moy but there is one in 1848 for a Sarah Milner. On the 1851 Census there is Thomas Moy born circa 1819 Coventry a Watch Maker, Children Sarah Milner Moy and William Milner Moy and House Servant Hannah Milner.
I assume that Hannah was actually the mother of the 2 children.
There is no record that I have found to give a marriage to Hannah and Thomas.
There is a Hannah "May" with matching birth year and place who was written as widow in the 1861 census living Garden Place Coventry, with William "May" son aged 15 and Henry "May" aged 2. I have only seen the transcription so can not be sure whether its a mis transcription or its the wrong line. There is a Death Reg for Thomas Moy in 1860 so that does fit.
To make things more complicated I have found a marriage record for Thomas Moy in 1840 to a Widow Priscilla Green nee Crockford. He is of the right age and was also a Watch Maker which ties in with the census.
I have found Thomas and Priscilla on the 1841 Census living Jordan Well, Coventry. I haven't found her on the other censuses but there is a Death Reg 1861 in Coventry for a Priscilla Moy.

If any one could help with the census records to see if I am on the right track  or even if anyone has info on the Moy Family in Coventry  I would be very grateful.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moy Coventry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
The 1848 Milner birth has no mmn shown on the GRO online search which is an indication she was illegitimate

If Priscilla can be found on the 1851 census alone and only died after Thomas then there is no way Thomas and Hannah Milner could have married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
I thought that maybe the case. Do you know if divorce would have been an option back then.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Divorce at that time was mainly for the rich.  If he and Priscilla had divorced there would have been no reason for him and Hannah to remain unmarried

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thats true. It is all a bit of a puzzle really   :)