Author Topic: Thomas Moy Coventry  (Read 1282 times)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Moy Coventry
« on: Monday 05 June 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me with sorting through some quite confusing info on the Moy - Milner Families of Coventry.
The info I have at the moment is my relative Sarah Milner Moy - Father Thomas. There is no birth registration for a Sarah Moy but there is one in 1848 for a Sarah Milner. On the 1851 Census there is Thomas Moy born circa 1819 Coventry a Watch Maker, Children Sarah Milner Moy and William Milner Moy and House Servant Hannah Milner.
I assume that Hannah was actually the mother of the 2 children.
There is no record that I have found to give a marriage to Hannah and Thomas.
There is a Hannah "May" with matching birth year and place who was written as widow in the 1861 census living Garden Place Coventry, with William "May" son aged 15 and Henry "May" aged 2. I have only seen the transcription so can not be sure whether its a mis transcription or its the wrong line. There is a Death Reg for Thomas Moy in 1860 so that does fit.
To make things more complicated I have found a marriage record for Thomas Moy in 1840 to a Widow Priscilla Green nee Crockford. He is of the right age and was also a Watch Maker which ties in with the census.
I have found Thomas and Priscilla on the 1841 Census living Jordan Well, Coventry. I haven't found her on the other censuses but there is a Death Reg 1861 in Coventry for a Priscilla Moy.

If any one could help with the census records to see if I am on the right track  or even if anyone has info on the Moy Family in Coventry  I would be very grateful.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moy Coventry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
The 1848 Milner birth has no mmn shown on the GRO online search which is an indication she was illegitimate

If Priscilla can be found on the 1851 census alone and only died after Thomas then there is no way Thomas and Hannah Milner could have married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
I thought that maybe the case. Do you know if divorce would have been an option back then.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Divorce at that time was mainly for the rich.  If he and Priscilla had divorced there would have been no reason for him and Hannah to remain unmarried

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thats true. It is all a bit of a puzzle really   :)

Offline Rhubarb 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,I came across your search for information on Thomas Moy and Priscilla from 2017 and wondered if you are still looking for information in this area.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 December 19 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Just putting this, as I was looking up, possible for Priscilla and son Henry in 1851, if she reverted to Green:
living with lodgers, visitors and servant in Dudley but she and Henry born Coventry and she is still a ribbon weaver
Priscilla Green   30  wife married
Joseph Price   23
Emma Harriss   20
Ann Watts   21
Henry Green   15
Betsy Fredson   23
Betsy Neck   19
Phoebe Marsh   21
Ann Hill   19

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 December 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I presume you already have the Bapt of Thomas 17 Sep 1817 to WILLIAM/SARAH
(Anc)

This appears to be their Marriage;
19 Feb 1817, All Saints, Bedworth
William MOY to Sarah BRIDEGMAN
William a Bachelor/Sarah a Widow
Witnesses, William and Sarah Bedder
(FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rhubarb 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 December 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Priscilla Crockford married Henry Green,they had 3 children that I know of. Edward,Emma and Henry, Henry Green the father died as daughter Emma was born of the fever.

Priscilla then having to bring up 3 young children with no breadwinner begins to pick up a criminal record serving 21 days in prison for being drunk and disorderly.
She married Thomas Moy of St John Street Coventry,whose father is named as William Moy on his marriage certificate to Priscilla.
She served a prison sentence for having a disorderly house,which I believe was another way of saying she may have been a prostitute,I don't know if she was still with Thomas at this point,or whether they may have split.As already proffered,I also believe she ended up in the Mumble's of Dudley,a very tough place to live in those days living under her old name Green ,In the 1851 census she was with son Henry, daughter Emma was in 1851 living with Priscilla's sister Emma Eden(nee Crockford) back in Coventry.The other child Edward had died earlier.

Priscilla under the name Green picked up further misdemeanor's for robbery,with her friend they invited  a man to the house in the Mumble's then drugged and robbed him,her Friend took the blame and Priscilla was let off.

She finally died in 1861 in Coventry Workhouse,Brick Kiln Lane, according to her death certificate it was a brain injury,certified one year,I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Hope this helps,I'm looking into the possibility that daughter Emma kept in touch with members of the Moy family,as some Moy family are on the records of Warwick Road congregational church at the same time as Emma was a member.

Regards