Author Topic: 1938: Wexford's stirring of interest in 1798?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1938: Wexford's stirring of interest in 1798?
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
In my search of the family's Irish roots, I have noticed that 1938's 140 year anniversary of '98 in Co. Wexford was different in scale from other years. What social, cultural movements came together to make 1938 special? 125 or 150 years seems like a more likely choice for a big anniversary event. Living in the USA and born in 1955 I am not able to grasp the dynamic. The books I have read do not comment on the subject. 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 1938: Wexford's stirring of interest in 1798?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Ireland had become truly independent in the years since 1921. The present constitution came into force in December 1937, so 1938 was the first year of the present system of government. No previous anniversaries could have been celebrated in the same way, for various reasons, particularly the existence of British rule pre-1921.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
The book Who Fears to Speak of '98'? by Peter Collins (a copy can be found if you search google books) has an explanation on page 57. It was a result of a priest, Fr Patrick Murphy (Parish of Glyn Co Wexford) thinking that he would not be alive by the 150th anniversary and so bought the celebrations forward.

Simon

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Locksmith and Wexflyer for your response. I will search for the book mentioned.
kevin