Author Topic: John and William Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewn  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and William Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewn
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out when John Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewan died and where he was buried. Also his brother William at the same place. They were born in Goderich Ontario, John about 1858 and William about 1860. Their parents were Angus and Catherine Fraser. The 1861 and 1871 census show them in Ontario. The 1906 Saskatchewan census John is in Melfort with his wife Mary and two sons and his mother who is widowed. The 1945 Melfort voters list has a John and his wife and William and his wife. The 1958 Melfort voters  list has a John Fraser and his wife. If this is him he would be 100 years old.
I can't find anything else on them or their mother and any more information would be very helpful.

Thanks
Rodger Smith

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John and William Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Your John and William definitely went to Saskatchewan?  The household you refer to in 1906 has a brother David and he doesn't appear on the Ontario census in 1861 or 1871 you referenced.
The 1881 census for Thorold Welland shows an Alexander Upper with wife Catherine born Scotland and also in the household William Fraser and sister Catherine J.  This coincides with the children shown in the 1871 except for disappearance of John.  The death of Catherine Upper gives a birth of June 22, 1833 Scotland with parents John McFee and Jessie Cumming.  Death Mar 10, 1928 11 Asher St. Welland with burial at Fonthill Cemetery.  Alexander buried there 1896.  Informant was daughter Miss Kate Fraser of same address as mother's. 
Just want to be sure we're looking in the right place.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
I don't believe that the 1881 census in Thorlold is the same family. Catherine, the mother, was married to Angus and they lived in Goderich On. The Canadian Geneology Index 1600-1900 has an Angus dying in Goderich in 1871. This would be just before the 1871 census in Goderich which has Catherine widowed. Her son William appears to have married Bridget McKay in Little Current On on Dec. 4, 1889. They are in the 1901 census in Little Current and in the 1911 census in Melfort Saskatchewan.
I believe it is very likely that John, William and their mother all died in Saskatchewan and are probably buried there, as I mentioned the voters list, but I can't find any records of their deaths or burials.
I did find a death for a Bridget Fraser who died in Winnipeg on June 10, 1923.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
The marriage for your William to Bridget shows her father's name to be Bryan, which matches the Bridget buried in a cemetery in Melfort:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/melfort.html

The later voters lists showing a John and William Fraser for the Melfort area lists them, whether they be yours or not, in  Sylvania.  There is a bit of history on them in a book here:
John: http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=525284&qryID=e35b4243-7483-43ad-b73c-e826a7baa79a
William: http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=525285&qryID=e35b4243-7483-43ad-b73c-e826a7baa79a

The dates don't work for arrival year, and John is married to a Laura (possible remarriage?), unless these are children of your John and William?  Or another family of Fraser's entirely?  ???  They came from the Muskoka area of Ontario, so that is close (I think).

There is also a Melfort book with a few mentions of Fraser, but I couldn't find enough info to say if they are yours or not:
http://www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=1249&qryID=1d3e609a-e9cb-469c-a4da-028ffbb64825

Edit:  The link above for William (and Steve, which is the nickname for his wife Charlotte), if related, must be a child of the ones you are looking for, as I just found William and Charlotte ("Steve") buried in Tisdale, showing them to be born in 1901  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/tisdale.html
There is a findagrave for him, which is making it look less likely he fits:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=141167917&ref=acom

This map might help you to look for cemeteries to search in the surrounding area
http://roadsidethoughts.com/sk/sylvania-cemeteries.htm

I wonder if your Fraser's came out, Bridgette died, then they moved on somewhere else, and the Frasers in the voters lists are a different family?

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. I think it is clear that the Frasers in the voters lists are not from my family tree. The Frasers in the book are not likely my family. It mentions that William came from Muskoka with his parents but I feel certain that his father Angus was already dead as his mother is mentioned as a widow in a previous census.
It has only been passed down in our family that John and William lived at Melfort, not that they neccessarily died there. So you may be correct that after Bridget's death they moved on.
But, I wonder, is it not likely that  their mother Catherine died at Melfort. She was born around 1835 and she is in the 1906 census in Melfort.
Thanks for all the help and the links and I'll check on the cemeteries around Melfort for Frasers.

Rodger

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
I was just looking at the 1911 census for William and Bridget (no children), living in Prince Albert and under occupation, it "might" say merchant.  In this case, that previous link for the Melfort book, if you search for Fraser, and look at the results listed under the Wood family, there are mentions of a Wm. Fraser who had a store for a while in Melfort.
http://www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=1249&qryID=7f41b355-1759-452b-9be9-d9e03f5d7601

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to the daughter Catherine born about 1866.

Shelburne Reid Fraser born 29 May 1905 Sask. with father John Alexander Fraser and mother Mary Jane Morrison which ties in with 1906 census.

Border crossing  at Sumas Washington - failed to note date
All with last name Fraser
Daniel 26, Catherine 81, John A. 52, Mary J. 41, H. Frank 8, Sheburn Reed 6.  From Carievale Saskatchewan going to visit a Morrison Bellingham Washington.  Nearest relative in Canada was Catherine's son D(?) Fraser in Newdale(? ) Manitoba.  Sons born Wentworth and Catherine born Scotland.

In 1901 Carievale Assiniboia there is a widowed Catherine Fraser born 04 Feb 1830 Scotland with John Fraser 01 Jan 1863 Scotland and Donald 07 Oct 1866 Scotland.  Immigration year for Catherine 1900.  Seems to tie in with the family crossing the border except for places of birth for children.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=146939

John and family and Catherine in 1911.  This one says he was born in Nova Scotia.

Shelbourne Reid Fraser of Whatcom county Washington married evelyn Louise Huseby at Tacoma Washington 02 May 1927

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
1920 Washington State census:
Name:    John A Fraser
Birth Year:    abt 1858
Birthplace:    Nova Scotia
Home in 1920:    Van Wyck, Whatcom, Washington

Father's Birthplace:    Scotland
Mother's Birthplace:    Scotland
Native Tongue:    Scotch
Able to Speak English:    Yes
Industry:    General Farm

Name    Age
John A Fraser    62
Mary J Fraser    49
H Frank Fraser    16
S Reid Fraser    14

Their is a possible match for a death in Washington, but the father isn't an Angus  ???

First Name:    John A.
Last Name:    Fraser
Date Of Death:    5 Oct 1929
Father Name:    Thomas Alexander Fraser
Mother Name:    Catherine Kennedy
Batch Id:    539154
Batch Locality:    Washington, United States
Death Place:    Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington
Mother Name Gn:    Catherine
Mother Name Surname:    Kennedy
Spouse Name:    Mary J. Fraser