Author Topic: John and William Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewn  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and William Fraser of Melfort Saskatchewn
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Angus parents were John Fraser and Marjory Rose so the marriage you found for Angus and Catherine is the correct one. Angus did have a brother James.
I think you have changed my mind. I now think the John Fraser and family that moved to Washington
is not the correct one.
It does seem like Catherine did marry again to Alexander Upper. They are both buried in Fonthill Cemetery. Her daughter Catherine is also buried in Fonthill and a William Fraser born July 11, 1862 and died May 12, 1940 is also buried there. Could this be her son?
I still think the William and Bridget of Melfort is our William, but what of John. It has been in our family tree for several generations that Angus' sons John and William lived in Melfort.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 June 17 00:11 BST (UK) »
I agree on William and Bridget.... her grave is a big green flag.  John will show up, we just have to keep turning over every rock!

Angus Fraser, deputy sheriff, of Goderich, died 27 Jun, 1870. Newspaper article middle of column 3, in this very slow to load pdf:
https://pubdocs.huroncounty.ca/weblink/3/edoc/129640/Huron%20Signal,%201870-6-30,%20Page%202.pdf

This is from a site with Huron newspapers, with honestly the worst search method ever.  I took a screenshot in case the link doesn't work, because I'll never find it again!

https://www.huroncounty.ca/library/special-collections/digitized-newspapers/

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 June 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Would be nice to find an obituary for Catherine (mother) which might indicate where her children were.  Perhaps the Fonthill library could help.  I think I would also contact the Fonthill cemetery to see if they have records of parents etc on burials as that would rule in or out the Catherine and William Fraser in that cemetery

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 June 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
 :D
I got the newspaper article on Angus' death and I'll try the Fonthill library for information on the burials.

Great work...great suggestions

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 June 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
Do you know if Angus had a much older brother, or more likely, an uncle George?

I found so few Frasers in  Goderich in the 1871 directory, so I was surprised to see an 1851 directory listing for a former deputy sheriff named George Fraser.  He was also the coroner, notary public, and master in chancery. Busy man!

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/canada/1851-goderich-canada-directory.htm

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 June 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
There was a Simon John Fraser born 07 Jan 1858 Goderich, s/o Donald Fraser and Catherine Dryden who died 30 Sep 1921 in Michigan and is buried Mt. Pleasant Toronto. 

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 June 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
I don't believe Angus had a brother George. I don't know who his fathers parents were or his fathers' siblings but it does seem like a coincidence that another  Fraser in Goderich was a sheriff or deputy sheriff.
Angus' siblings that I believe came to Canada were
 Donald who came in about 1831 and died in Penetang On in 1863. This could be the father of Simon who was born in Goderich in 1858. I don't know Donald's wifes name but he must have been married because he had a son William D. Fraser who lived in Cleveland Ohio.

Brother James came to Canada about 1894 but returned to Scotland where he died about 1925.

And Catherine my G-G-Grandmother who married Andrew Smith.

Other siblings not known to have come to Canada were Simon, Alexander, John, Duncan and Marjory.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 June 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=72837

The above is a link for the WW1 records for a Lloyd Brydon.  He lists his next of kin as his aunt,  Mrs. W. Fraser of Melfort.

It looks like he puts his birthdate as 16 Jan 1890, but after a ton of searching, it is really 1896. Either he didn't press hard enough on the pen, or the top tail of the six has faded away.  Anyways, he is the son of Bridget's sister, Jenny/Jane, who married Walter Brydon.

Lloyd was actually born in Ontario, same place that William and Bridget were in 1906.  Lloyd's mother didn't die until the 1950's, (and his father left the family when he was young), so I'm not sure why he had his paychecks go to his Aunt Bridget (if you open his digital file at the above link) you will see her listed on multiple pages).

He was living in Winnipeg on the 1921 census, and moved to Illinois in 1925.  I'm guessing that Bridget was visiting him when she died in Winnipeg in 1923.

I still can't find them (William and Bridget) in 1916, but the WW1 records state she was in Melfort.  Going through the 1921 census page by page, I finally found them, mistranscribed as surname Frason.   They are on MacLeod Ave, Melfort, William is a merchant. If searching under Frason does not work, follow this:

1921 Census of Canada
Saskatchewan
Prince Albert
Sub-District 50 - Melfort (Town)
image 35 of 37

Also, I found the Melfort newspapers online, but so far for only the WW1 years at http://sabnewspapers.usask.ca/browse/city   The search function does not work, at least for me, which is aggravating when you know with such a small town there will be tidbits on all the locals.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 June 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
After posting the above, I gave the 1916 census one more look for William and Bridget.

Somehow, FRASER is transcribed as WALL.  :o

1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta
Saskatchewan
Prince Albert
image 18 of 36

It seems they always had a lodger or two, and no kids have ever shown.