Author Topic: Original Shorten settlers in Co Cork  (Read 964 times)

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Original Shorten settlers in Co Cork
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
Morning all, new to this site and its been a while since I did any digging into my tree after getting stuck, so hoping there are some kind people out there who can help me knock down a few walls !!!
Having read the History of Bandon, I discovered my Shorten's originated from Somerset under the 1620's plantations. Is it possible to find them recorded anywhere, as I believe my line is descended from them, and of course like many families at the time, the name patterns repeat so often that in the end you do not know who is who. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Also would like contact with any others researching this name. Did connect and correspond years ago with like minded who I shared my info with but have lost their contacts, TIA xxxxxxx

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original Shorten settlers in Co Cork
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am also researching the shorten surname. My 3rd grt grandmother is margaret shorten born abt 1803 died 1864. She married thomas good in 1822 i think. The goods may have come over at the same time but nothing proved yet.
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline OOE0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Original Shorten settlers in Co Cork
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have Thomas Good and his wife Margaret Shorten in my tree but they are not direct ancestors.

I'm trying to find out who were the parents of James Bradfield born circa 1788 (of Cork) - 1859 (Moneens) and Eady or Edith Shorten circa 1793 (Murragh) - 1859 (Moneens). They married on July 19th 1814 in Murragh and are my direct ancestors (5 generations).

Can you help please?

Thank you