Author Topic: Joseph Cummins  (Read 1707 times)

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Cummins
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Morning all, really stuck on this one. My grt grt grandfather Joseph Cummins was born 1832 ( as far as I know this is correct ) in Haggard his parents were John and Ellen Cummins. The only sibling that I have found so far is Bridget, but no idea if she is older or younger. Would love to find out more about them. Have info on Joseph coming forward, needing help please with going backwards, many thanks xxxxx

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cummins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your search. I've been trying for years in vain to find my Irish Cummins, of about the same period, and got absolutely nowhere.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
If they were Catholics, Haggard is under Carrick-on-Bannow in the Registers on line site.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0579

In the Tithe records there are Cummins.
The John Cummins Joseph's father, possibly, is one of these listed.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=cummins&firstname=john&county=Wexford&parish=&townland=&search=Search
after 1864 when the civil records were being introduced look under
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie
you will pick up deaths
then the 1901 census and then maybe the 1911 census.
You can dig and you will find info.
For the Planters ...........just google  Plantations in Ireland.
That will start you off to search a bit more.
So plenty of places to look.
Maggsie

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
thank you so much, will look at these xxx Never know what you find x

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your search. I've been trying for years in vain to find my Irish Cummins, of about the same period, and got absolutely nowhere.

Did you and the OP also check for Cowman? Cummins was more normally given as Cowman in Co. Wexford - this equivalence is listed in standard reference works, and is correct.  I encountered this in my own family - they were uniformly named as Cowman in Wexford registers, but uniformly known as Cummins/Cummings in USA.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I think one of the problems lies in the fact that civil registration came in just after the dates I am looking for and parish reg for baptisms seem to also be fractionally later which again does not help, but as they say onward and upward, many thanks again xxxx

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Never thought of Cowman. They variously seemed to use Commins, Commings, Coman, Cummings, Cummin... all part of the great plan to confuse descendants! (It worked) As I said, I've totally given up on them, but just hope that supermags has better fortune.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)