Author Topic: Elizabeth Toohey - British Subject born in America.  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Toohey - British Subject born in America.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
I see from Bernard Tuohy's service record that prior to serving in Bermuda he was in Canada, and I've found their marriage on 8 June 1858 in Quebec, Saint Patrick.

Unfortunately I lost my reading glasses last week so I'm struggling to read it but I think I can make out Bernard Toohey of the 39th Regiment son of John Toohey & Bridget Flanigan (?), and Elizabeth Flanagan a resident of Quebec and daughter of deceased Francis Flanagan and the late Bridget Methermoth (??).  Married in the presence of Bartholomew Kerrigan and Jane Flanagan.  All parties signed their names, although the Flanagan girls signed as Flanigan.

For anyone with better eyesight than me (or still in possession of their reading glasses!) its on Anc* in the Drouin Collection.

ADDED: its indexed as Bernard Toohy & Elisabeth Flanagan
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Also found a burial for Francis Flanagan in Notre-Dame, Quebec in 1847.  Its written in French but his wife - Elizabeth's mother- appears to be Bridget McDermot.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
All I would add is that his surname is shown as Toohy and that his parents are 'of the County Galway' and that hers are 'of the County Roscommon'.

So at least you know which parts of Ireland both Bernard and Elizabeth families originated.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Catherine86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Wow, I honestly can't thank you all enough! What a big help!!! This really is a massive breakthrough. I thought I'd never find anything on Elizabeth Toohey.

So much more information I have now thanks to everyone here.

So much to take in, and lots of new leads.

This means so much :)
Toohey/Tuohy (Bermuda, Dorset, Manchester)
Jeans (Dorset)

Offline Barbara Carey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been compiling my family tree and saw your post on Roots Chat, my great Grandfather was John Toohey born in Bermuda 1861, and my great Grandmother was Marie Ann Jean born in Portsea, my Nan was also born in Portsea along with her twin Frances Florence.  Bernard was my Nans younger brother.

Barbara from Manchester

Offline Catherine86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 September 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Lovely to hear from you! I have just sent you a message.

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

Catherine.
Jeans (Dorset)

Offline Barbara Carey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 September 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine, so lovely to hear from you!  I have only been working on my ancestry for two weeks now and used the Chat site for the first time when I messaged you, I am really struggling with the site trying to send private messages so please forgive me being slow to respond to you.

I have got quite a bit of information on both families but nowhere as much as you.

I love the photo of Eileen Florence, she looks very dark, is it just the photo? my mother is so much like her!  I have some old photos but only as far back as my Nan and her family, you can have copies but my daughter Chantelle will have to help me out to post them.

I am so happy I found you on Roots, I will keep in touch and if possible send you any information I get.

Barbara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 September 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
you must make a couple of posts before you can send someone a private message!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Catherine86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 October 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
you must make a couple of posts before you can send someone a private message!!

Ah that explains it, thank you.

Hi Catherine, so lovely to hear from you!  I have only been working on my ancestry for two weeks now and used the Chat site for the first time when I messaged you, I am really struggling with the site trying to send private messages so please forgive me being slow to respond to you.

I have got quite a bit of information on both families but nowhere as much as you.

I love the photo of Eileen Florence, she looks very dark, is it just the photo? my mother is so much like her!  I have some old photos but only as far back as my Nan and her family, you can have copies but my daughter Chantelle will have to help me out to post them.

I am so happy I found you on Roots, I will keep in touch and if possible send you any information I get.

Barbara

Hi Barbara ,

I have sent you a message with my email address.

It's amazing that you have been in touch. This forum has been a big help to me :)

Catherine
Jeans (Dorset)