Author Topic: All Hallows Tottenham - WRIGHT - Burial details sought  (Read 639 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
All Hallows Tottenham - WRIGHT - Burial details sought
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
I am also seeking information re two burials in All Hallows, Tottenham.

One is for Catherine Wright, buried June 1830 and, I believe, with a memorial or tombstone in the churchyard.

The second is her husband William Wright, buried 30 Jul 1839.

They had lived at Tottenham Park (mansion house) from 1815 - death.  The house was demolished after 1896 and the land became part of Tottenham Cemetery, according to my research.

I can't find anything re these deaths to show where they were buried - same grave?  Where in the churchyard?

Added:  Just found FreeReg giving for William

"Ref A031: bd Jul 30 1839 aged 97yrs PR. Headstone facing east (listed 1979/names identified/burial located & mapped)"  - he was actually 87 when he died (transcription error I guess)

and for Catherine (1830)

"Facing yard "old tombstones.....laid to form a path from the irongate entrance to the church yard up to the lobby of the little south-door entrance into the church" [1840 William Robinson*]."  But she'd only been dead 10 years - little early to lift tombstones?  Think Robinson's reference was to older tombstones when you read the context.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pam

*From Robinson's 1840 book 'The History and Antiquities of Tottenham'.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: All Hallows Tottenham - WRIGHT - Burial details sought
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Deleted
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

If you follow the link at reply #3 in the other topic where you posted, that site explains that few of the earlier headstones and/or inscriptions survive.

Compare this view of the churchyard to the more recent adjacent cemetery

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6008876,-0.0768353,142m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

If you click on the yellow man (bottom right) streetview icon, there are 3 photos taken within the churchyard which you can click on to see more.

Researchers in and around London who visit are few and far between which is why quite a few requests on various topics remain unanswered.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had seen the comment re few headstones etc, but the All Hallows churchyard does have quite a few 'old' stones and tombs (from the Google pictures) still standing by the looks of it.

I did hope that the comment from FreeReg "Ref A031: bd Jul 30 1839 aged 97yrs PR. Headstone facing east (listed 1979/names identified/burial located & mapped)" would point to some form of Memorial listing (or similar) from 1979 for the churchyard to let me see where A031 was. 

I wonder where FreeReg got this 1979 reference from?

Just wish I was close enough to have a day out there. 

Pam

Offline suerowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 22 11:50 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg info burial A031 comes from my 2013-2015 research. I mapped the All Hallows Churchyard but only produced a hand-drawn map, not one that can be put online (yet). I gave the data to FreeReg so that people could know the graves were in existence. A031 is a headstone towards the rear central area of the churchyard, behind the church. It has another name on it with WRIGHT,- HOUTSON. A031 is in a cluster of 3 headstones. The other two are ROBBINS and EVERARD, but there closeness could simply mean burials close by timing, not family connection.
Hope this helps. I don't live in Tottenham now, otherwise I'd take a photo for you.
Sue Rowe

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 22 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sue,  How wonderful to get a reply, from the source!!  Thank you for taking the effort to record them, and then to reply to me.

I am also a long way away from that churchyard, do you have a copy of your hand-drawn map that you could scan and email to me or even attach to a reply here?

I have used Google maps to walk round the churchyard but your map would place me in the right place to see the stones

Thanks again,

Pam

Offline suerowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Glad to be of some little help. I may be able to get the map properly scanned in the next couple of weeks. I'll try to take a photo to send, meanwhile, but this site will only take small files. Bear in mind that I drew grave positions - basically what would have been dug out for the burial -but all you see above ground is the headstone. Standing at the back of the church on the path, facing the grass and what remains of the graves, if you go left to the curve of the path there is a headstone very close to the path. Behind it is a smashed up headstone (hopefully not yet removed). Behind that is the group of 3 headstones you want. WRIGHT is the one on the right hand side.
There is a helpful man at All Hallows, I think his name is John Laverick, who may take a photo for you, or Dave Morris who may be contacted via the Tottenham Cemetery (not Churchyard) group in Tottenham. I sent Dave a (hard) copy of the map some time back and he seems a nice person. Let me know how you get on.
All the best, Sue R