Author Topic: Hughes-McDonnaugh Marriage in Liverpool 1830s  (Read 1123 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes-McDonnaugh Marriage in Liverpool 1830s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
The online availability of the St Anthony's records has proved very useful.  It must be that Peter's (1838) birth wasn't registered.  When he died in December 1841 the family lived at (18) Arley Street - the same address as where Thomas was born on 27th August 1841.  Peter senior was recorded as being a labourer on Thomas's birth certificate.

I didn't know about Gildurt's Gardens when I checked the 1841 Census street-by-street a few years ago.  I've a feeling that the addresses were close together (the area was badly bombed in WW2).

'McDonagh' looks to be the priest's chosen spelling for Julia's surname.

Thanks

BB

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
If you look on this c1836 map look for the red line going through "Vauxhall Road" and you will see above it Arley Street. Maguire Street is the next street to the right it runs north into Gildarts Gardens:-

http://liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverpool_1836/

Blue

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Blue

Many thanks for this.  I've just cross-checked with the current A-Z of Liverpool and a fragment of Arley Street remains today, tucked behind Trinity Church.  Gildarts Gardens has disappeared under the Kingsway tunnel approach (although I suspect it disappeared many years before).

Certainly moving lodgings from Gildarts to Arley would have been an easy business back in the 1830s-40s.

Thanks again

BB