Author Topic: St Mary's Home Ketton  (Read 2476 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mary's Home Ketton
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
    I was surprised to find my Grans cousin in the 1939 register in St Mary's Home High Street Ketton Rutland  she is an inmate training for laundry and domestic work. She was from Barnsley so how did she land there? I googled the place and found that it started as a home for fallen women! Does anyone know about this place? She married back in Barnsley in 1942
Thank you
Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Home Ketton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Some background;

http://kettonvillagehistory.co.uk/highstreetnorth.html

'88-90 High Street - No 88 was formerly St Mary's House, No 90 was formerly the Bishop Clayton Hall. In 1892, the Diocese of Peterborough bought St Mary's House, previously called Ketton House and named it St Mary's Home for Girls. Penitent young women between 14 and 18 years were trained in domestic service. The laundry[now two bungalows] was connected by an underground passage below Hunt's Lane. In 1944 Peterborough Diocese sold all the buildings but the chapel was kept and purchased by the Parochial Church Council of St Mary's and used as a church hall and named after Bishop Clayton who founded the original home. The home operated a laundry in the rear of the premises to help with the girls' re-education, and offset some of the running costs of the institution. It was said that if one of the girls escaped a bell was rung to alert the villagers to help in her recapture.'

so presumably she was penitent.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Home Ketton
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks