Author Topic: Margaret Byrne  (Read 2535 times)

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Byrne
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 June 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
mjflynn, do you think a person born in Monasterboice would identify their place of birth as being Drogheda? Keeping in mind that she moved to England. When looking at the map, I see that the distance is almost 9 km. Thanks
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 June 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Here's a record for a Margaret Burns (different spelling to Byrne), baptized 1842 in Drogheda. Father Michael, mother Mary King.
I think this will be difficult to prove which one, if any, is my relative?
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 June 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
mjflynn, could you please give me the names of the witnesses for the baptism record at Monasterboice?  Thanks.

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 June 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
A person born in Monasterboice may identify with Drogheda, as its the nearest large town that someone in England might have heard of. When civil registration started Monasterboice came under the Drogheda registration district.

The witnesses on the Monasterboice baptism were Patt Carroll and C McKena

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 June 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
That sounds encouraging, thank you mjflynn. Do you suppose she could be the Margaret BURNS as shown above? Although, her wedding record is spelt Byrne and the birth record of her daughter, formerly "Byrne".

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 June 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Yes the spelling could vary and often did between one record and another. When considering whether this would be the case I tend to think about who is making the record, and how much input there is from the subject into the information being recorded and also the level of literacy of the subject. The spelling is more likely to vary on older records and when the subject of the record was illiterate. As more people could read and write spellings tended to become more standardised. From my experience with Irish records the catholic parish registers probably have more variation in spelling than most others, though of course it does vary a lot from parish to parish and priest to priest, but usually what got recorded was how the priest thought or guessed it should be.