Author Topic: Sabey, Saby, Sabin surname Y-DNA Project  (Read 1202 times)

Offline kyliebun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sabey, Saby, Sabin surname Y-DNA Project
« on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
A global DNA project for the name Sabey and all variants has been set up with Family Tree DNA.  I am aiming to determine common heritage between family trees and test the theory that the surname is a derivation of Sabine or Sabin.

I am also researching the surname and have registered Sabey with the Guild of One-Name Studies (member 7640).  The project and study will run in conjunction with each other to marry traditional genealogical research with genetic testing.

If you are a male Sabey and have had your Y-DNA tested please consider joining the Project as every holder of each variant spelling will form a vital part of the study.  If you are thinking of taking a Y-DNA test (or you are a female who could persuade Mr. Sabey to!) contact us at the Guild of One-Name Studies as we offer a discounted FTDNA testing kit.

Many thanks.

Read more at

https://www.familytreedna.com/my/group-join.aspx?group=Sabey

http://one-name.org/name_profile/sabey/#uqzqBC8lw01AeTqp.99

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
Re: Sabey, Saby, Sabin surname Y-DNA Project
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
I highly recommend that you change the privacy setting for YDNA test results from private (project only) to public (everyone). This is a major tradeoff between making your data private and making your data available for public access (specially haplogroup research). Many smaller projects like yours can not been seen by haplogroup researchers like me. I am one of the admins for R-L226 - one of the three major primarily Irish haplogroups. By keeping your project private, haplogroup researchers do not know that your testing exists. Even though your project is only two members, eventually it will grow to 10 to 20 pretty fast.

I have around 53,000 testers at 67 markers for haplogroup R. I did find one Sabin (286316) in the Damron project. If you do not have this person in your project, you could send an email to the Damron project admin requesting that he forward your request to this tester to join your project. Also, the haplogroup I testers have another Sabin (141833) in the Russian DNA project who has tested at 67 markers.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline kyliebun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing that out, I thought they already were private!  Now changed, I hope! 

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Your project remains private (project only), therefore you are choosing privacy over accessibility. I highly recommend that you change to public access - if you Irish testers belong to R-M222, R-L226 or R-CTS4466, haplogroup researchers (this most important research going on in YDNA research), do not know that your testers exist. This just increases overall testing costs for the sake of privacy. Keeping your project private results in higher testing costs since haplogroup researchers will not be able to see your members to analyze. Your testers will be not be added to our L226 chart (or M222 or CTS4466 chart that are similar):

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L226/Haplotrees/L226_Home.pdf
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline kyliebun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robert for pointing out the bigger picture, I hadn't thought of that.  At present I prefer to keep them private, project only and until I have more experience of how the system works.  The Guild of One-Name Studies is supporting me and will ask their advice too.

I don't anticipate getting many members as Sabey is a very unusual name so I appreciate the tip on the projects that have Sabin members, many thanks.

Kind regards, Jane