Author Topic: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 June 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB, I appreciate that... I wasnt sure... I had a feeling it was near the border between the two counties but not the specifics. Many Thanks. V
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 June 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Barbara  Soppitt both died @1834 of Newlands Grange according to Durham Records Online.

burial register of Whittonstall

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6P9W-S12?i=103&wc=9K5Q-HZ4%3A13617901%2C32041001%2C32041002&cc=1309819

gives his birth around 1743 and hers around 1753

The house is currently for sale!

http://finestproperties.co.uk/newlands-grange-whittonstall-northumberland/
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 June 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks... thats a posh looking house! perhaps I'm not looking early enough for Joseph then if this believes his birth was 1743... not thinking straight today as I was awake half the night...will get back onto searching for Soppitts tomorrow....
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
There is a will for Joseph Soppit proved in 1835. It states he is of Newlands West Farm and he leaves bequests to his daughter Sarah Soppit, daughter Barbary Green of Whittonstall and son Edward Soppit.

Going forward Edward Soppit(t) can be identified in the 1841,1851 and 1861 census at Newlands Grange.He died in 1863 (gro index gives his age as 76) and he left a will,one of his executors being his nephew,John Green of Whittonstall.

Like Fiddler's Lass I wonder if this family were non conformists. There are baptisms in the non conformist registers from Hamsterley Baptist Chapel for Mary (born 22 Sept 1776), Barbara (born 16 July 1778) and Matthew (born 31 Nov 1780) parents Joseph and Barbara Soppit of Whittonstall, Northumberland and all registered 18 Nov 1781 (Elizabeth and Mary, daughters of Matthew and Jane Soppit, also of Whittonstall were baptised on the same day).

Lookiing at the Wiki for Shotley there is a reference to a Baptist place of worship at Shotley Field. I wonder what the source of the baptisms showing in Familysearch in Shotley for John, Edward, Jonathan and Joseph actually is. The baptisms do not appear,as far as I can see, in the Bishop's Transcripts or anywhere else I have looked.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
There is an article in the Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury 22 June 1861 which refers to a fire at Newlands Grange Farm...which is in the occupation of Mr Edward Soppett, and the property of the Greenwich Hospital.

Mention the above as there is a land tax redemption record from 1798 in the Chapelry of Whittonstall for an occupier called Jos. Soppitt, the proprietors being the Governors of Greenwich Hospital.

Also note that Edward Soppitt appears in the register of electors for both 1832 and 1852. In both he is said to be the occupier of Newlands West Farm. That is the name used in the will of Joseph Soppit I referred to in my pevious post.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks William for all this, it would sense to me if they were non-conformists as they seem to be so tricky to find.... I think I will contact Northumberland Archives and see what they can find. V

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk