Author Topic: Fold3 document  (Read 825 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fold3 document
« on: Wednesday 07 June 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a full Ancestry subscription including access to Fold3? And who would not mind looking at such a document for me?

Many thanks
John

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fold3 document
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
even with a full ancestry account, you still have to pay to view the records on fold3.

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic14223.html

And please remember that specific requests from subscription and/or commercial sites are not allowed here. See the penultimate paragraph here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Fair enough but what about this 'all access' from Ancestry. I had an email a little while ago suggesting I pay c£250 which would give me access to Ancestry, Fold3 and some newspaper site.

And are there that many entries on Ancestry that say you need to access Fold3 to see the document in question? First time I have come across it in all my searches - and I must have searched a lot of records just trying to identify this particular person.

The 170 odd I pay now is more than  enough considering their poor indexing, poor help, the many inaccurate and misleading family trees, and everything else that is never anywhere near even 80% reliable. They need to stop loading more and more, and spend some time putting their current house in order.

John

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
Some of the Fold3 documents are available elsewhere, either on subscription sites or the National Archives (I found one free on TNA). 

What specifically are you looking for?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
I was going to say I was looking for an Irish born person who was apparently living in Australia in the 1940s, and for whom that Fold3 document seemed the best thing I could find to identify him.
But I have now found a WW1 record for him  which says he died in 1916 while serving with the Australian Navy! At least a person with the same name, birth date and area of birth.

Think I will have to start over with a more specific question.

Regards
John