Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this German coat of arms?  (Read 4544 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognize this German coat of arms?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 June 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
Here's what I did:
I opened a blank file with Word, clicked on Insert - Symbol, and inserted lots of potentially useful accented letters, umlaut letters, and other symbols (including ° which unaccountably is not on an English keyboard).  Saved it as a TXT file which I open each morning so that it goes in the system tray (I think that's what the bar at the bottom of the screen is called).
Now I can bring it up when needed, to copy & paste a given symbol into an eMail etc.

By the way, I've noticed how English-speaking people often confuse Berg and Burg, probably because they're pronouncing them both böög.  They're both pronounced as spelled (a strange German habit!).  Berg means mountain or hill; it's related to our word barrow in the sense of burial mound.  Burg means citadel or fortress; its Old English equivalent gave us borough.  Admittedly an ancient fortification was usually on a mound, so the word probably has the same origin.

Sorry not to be able to contribute anything on the Wapperl -- not even sure I'd call it a crest, so perhaps "heraldic device" is appropriate.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognize this German coat of arms?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 June 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Viktoria, but Regensburg is nowhere near Württemberg (which nobody here seems able to spell).  It's in the Bezirk [county, more or less] of Oberpfalz and firmly in the middle of Bavaria, though admittedly it was formerly an imperial free city.

Pardon me, I did.....tee hee, except u umlaut should be rendered as ue in English.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.