Author Topic: Amery family  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Amery family
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I have posted on this family before.  But now I am in a real pickle.  I thought I had cleared up my brick wall, sadly after looking at census results I have just added another brick.

Sarah Amery born around 1803 in Devon married Edward Pentecost in Southwark, London.
All seems fine at this stage.

A death print out was ordered here in NZ and it states Sarah's father is John Amery.

According to the 1851 census it states she was born in Climming Devon, no such place name.  So we settled on Chumleigh, and a birth for a Sarah around that time came up for John and Elizabeth Amery in Chumleigh.

Here is where it gets sticky.  John and Elizabeth are living in Newington London by 1851 and have a granddaughter by the name of Sarah Kitchener aged 6 born in Bedfordshire.  This little girls mother seems to be Sarah who married Charles Kitchener in 1846, not my Sarah who married William Pentecost.
Also I find John and Elizabeth had another daughter Sarah born 1809, so this rules out John and Elizabeth from Chumleigh and living in Newington as being parents to my Sarah born abt 1803.

Are all birth records up to date with the Devon area?  I am going around in circles with this lady.

I wonder if Sarah is the daughter of John Amery and Sarah Pike who married in 1794 Tedburn St Mary, Devon.  Also another marriage for a John Amery is to a Ann Amery in 1798 in Lustleigh.

Sorry I am not good on the areas of Devon so it is hard to pin point areas and name places.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amery family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
OK.
"Sarah Amery born around 1803 in Devon married Edward Pentecost in Southwark, London" DATE for Marriage?

The Kitchener-amery marriage is surely too early (in 1846) to have produced a 6-y-old by 1851?
And whose parents are

KITCHENER, LUCY  ELIZABETH mmn AMERY  1843  M Quarter in EDMONTON  ?
KITCHENER, SARAH  ANN          mnn AMERY   1845  M Quarter in LUTON  (1851 census g/dau?)
KITCHENER, CAROLINE            mmn AMERY  1846  D Quarter in LUTON 
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch reports the 1851 birthplace as "Climping"

So, there's obviously a transcription error here - can you provide a snippet of that part of the census form? Ideally showing a few entries either side, to compare with.

It's so dangerous, in genealogy, to make assumptions :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
This is the 1841 census?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQKN-X74

The daughter sarah Pentecost (b Amery?) surely is too young to sprog the 1851 grandchild
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Looks like Climmy  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 June 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
I found yesterday that John and Elizabeth had two daughter's by the name of Sarah, one born 1804 and another 1809. So this cannot be my Sarah, she was 80 years old at time of death in 1883, which puts her birth at 1803.

Strangely the 1841 census has my Sarah's birth as Surrey.  Nothing is making sense.
She married Edward Pentecost (Penticost) in 1830 Christ Church, Southwark, London, then by 1851 she is saying born Devon, well it looks like Climmy Devon, which we know Climmy is no such place.

It was a previous post someone suggested Chumleigh due to spelling.

That is why I wondering if all parish records are available for Devon?  There are two more John Amery's that may fit the bill as her father, yet no other Sarah's Amery's born in that time frame of 1803.

Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
 From my own personal research the parish records available online for Devon are extremely hit and miss. You just have to put them on the back burner and see what appears in the future. Not all records have been transcribed,  in fact hardly any.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mo.  This might be the case. 
Totally on the wrong pony again..I bet she is the daughter to one of the other John Amery's,
It still does not explain why she is in Surrey, unless the other Amery's are family of some sort.
I guess it is a waiting game for the records to come to light, lets hope they are up and running soon.

And far too many to add

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 17 03:06 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, I too think that Sarah's place of birth is indeed Chulmleigh, Devon (I note that in 1851 the John you mention has birthplace as Chumley).   

There was only one John baptising children there at the relevant time and that's the one you've mentioned, wife Elizabeth - equally so, it's been proven that their daughter Sarah bp.1809 married Charles Kitchener in 1841 Bethnal Green (marriage certificate clearly states her father as John Amery, Builder).

At the end of the day, your only link to 'your' Sarah's father being named John is the name that was given by the informant of her death.   This could have been an error, misremembered or even guessed at.

I would suggest that your Sarah was the one bp'd 26/7/1804 Chulmleigh, dau. of Richard Amery and wife Elizabeth (nee Lyle married 10/7/1796 Chulmleigh).  I note that Sarah and Edwards' youngest son was named Richard, another being Philip and Sarah b.1804 had an older brother of this name.

If John Amery was actually your Sarah's uncle she may have moved to London with them (for whatever reason) and if spoken about in the family it might be why the name John was remembered by her family (assuming it was a family member who was the informant).

My instinct is that your Sarah was bp.26/7/1804 Chulmleigh, dau. of Richard and Elizabeth (there is no further trace of this Sarah marrying in the parish, or appearing on census, suggesting she left home at some point).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk