Author Topic: Frederick William Spooner Senior  (Read 2549 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick William Spooner Senior
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above person was one of my 4x Great Grandad's.
He had a son also called Frederick William Spooner. One of my 3x Great Grandad's was born according to his birth certificate at: "113, Britannia Street, Hoxton, New Town". Frederick junior was born on the 9th of September. The birth was registered in the Shoreditch district.
On most of the Census returns, Frederick junior's birth date and place had been put down as: "St. Luke's Middlesex", in either 1837/38.
Frederick's senior's occupation at the time of Frederick's birth was a: "Warehouseman".
His Mother's name and maiden was: "Esther Spooner - formerly Marsden".
I looked up Frederick Spooner junior, on the Census returns from 1841, and 1851. On the 1841 Census, he appears to be with his Grandmother, Elizabeth Marsden, and her family. I could not see an Esther Spooner, or another Frederick Spooner there though, his Father. In the 1841 Census, Frederick w Spooner, junior was at: Southwark, St. George The Martyr, Lambeth Road.
In the 1851 Census, Frederick junior was also with a Marsden, and this Marsdens sister, Henrietta Stanley at: Howley Street, Lambeth.
I looked up a baptism for Esther Marsden. I found out that she was probably born at Stepney, on the 12th of December 1810: The Mother's name was Elizabeth, and the Father's name was William.

But the problem is, I can't seem to find Frederick William Spooner, Senior on the Census returns, or a baptism for him. Frederick William Spooner, junior married Ellen Pocock, in December 1860, in Putney. On his marriage record for his Father's name and occupation, Frederick put: "Frederick Spooner - Linen Draper". I also can't find a record of a marriage between Esther Marsden, and Frederick William Spooner, Senior. The fact that on Frederick junior's birth certificate it says for his Mother: "Esther Spooner - formerly Marsden", would suggest that they had been married.I am assuming that Esther may have died when Frederick junior was very young? That is why he seems to have been possibly brought up by his Aunts.
But I don't know what became of Frederick William Spooner, Senior. Possibly married again?

Any information regarding the above, would be gratefully accepted.  :) ;)

Thank you very much.  :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick William Spooner Senior
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
The fact that on Frederick junior's birth certificate it says for his Mother: "Esther Spooner - formerly Marsden", would suggest that they had been married.

Yes certainly would suggest that but it may not have been the case.  I have a birth where the parents are written in the same format but they weren't married - it was just for appearance. 

If he was the only child of that couple then either they were single and separated or one/both of them died.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
There's a Frederick William marriage in 1841 to Sarah Ann Jones in Hackney although he is an accountant not a linen draper.

1841 census has a Frederick William age 25 with a William 53 commission agent.

They could be the same people but not sure if he is your man or not  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Census, Frederick w Spooner, junior was at: Southwark, St. George The Martyr, Lambeth Road.

I wonder therefore whether this is your Esther, despite her age being slightly off:

Admitted to Christ Church, Southwark workhouse, 25 August 1852

Esther Marsden born 1814.  Parish unknown: in St George's upwards of 5 years.

Admitted due to illness.  Sempstress, destitute, of 14 Market St.  Not able bodied.

Esther died in the workhouse on 6 September 1852.  Her body was "taken out by her friends" for burial.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
The fact that on Frederick junior's birth certificate it says for his Mother: "Esther Spooner - formerly Marsden", would suggest that they had been married.

Yes certainly would suggest that but it may not have been the case.  I have a birth where the parents are written in the same format but they weren't married - it was just for appearance. 

If he was the only child of that couple then either they were single and separated or one/both of them died.
Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 June 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
There's a Frederick William marriage in 1841 to Sarah Ann Jones in Hackney although he is an accountant not a linen draper.

1841 census has a Frederick William age 25 with a William 53 commission agent.

They could be the same people but not sure if he is your man or not  :-\
Thank you again,
My Frederick William senior when Fred junior was born, was put down in 1837 as a: "Warehouseman". I suppose that could mean any kind of job in a Warehouse.
In 1860, his job was put down as a: "Linen Draper".
The Frederick Williams that you mention who could be the same people are interesting. I did a quick google search on the Internet, and there was apparently a William Spooner, of Clerkenwel, or Finsbury. He was a Linen Draper, and in around 1826 or thereabouts, he had some yards of Linen stolen. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Census, Frederick w Spooner, junior was at: Southwark, St. George The Martyr, Lambeth Road.

I wonder therefore whether this is your Esther, despite her age being slightly off:

Admitted due to illness.  Sempstress, destitute, of 14 Market St.  Not able bodied.

Esther died in the workhouse on 6 September 1852.  Her body was "taken out by her friends" for burial.
That could definitely be a possibility yes. Especially if Fred senior, and Esther were never actually married.

Thanks.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 June 17 18:46 BST (UK) »

That could definitely be a possibility yes. Especially if Fred senior, and Esther were never actually married.

Thanks.  :)

I looked on Family Search, and found an "Ester Marsden" around the same age as the one that you mentioned in the 1841 Census. According to the transcription, she was in an "Institution" on Pearl Row, at Southwark, St. George The Martyr. Presumably this was also a Workhouse?

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
FW Spooner that married Sarah Ann Jones in 1841 is an accountant of Cummings Street, his father is listed as William, a warehouseman!

This is the same Frederick and William on the 1841 that Millipede found as the census address is also Cummings Street, William is then a commission agent and Frederick is a clerk. This Frederick and Sarah Ann are then in Croydon in 1851, Frederick is now a wine cooper/merchant with several servants.

It is noted that on his marriage to Sarah Ann he is shown as a bachelor.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.