Author Topic: Mr G? H Forbes - Canada  (Read 1896 times)

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr G? H Forbes - Canada
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Hoping you can please help - or put me in touch with somebody who can.
I am researching family tree - surname Forbes - and hit a brick wall.

I've attached a couple of documents for ease of explanation.

Ethel Stott left UK/Rochdale, Lancashire in 1911, & Married a Mr. Forbes possibly in Canada - possibly Canadian?) .

It's this Mr (G) H Forbes - or his ancestors - I'd like to track please

Ethel Stott died in 1913 - Edmonton Municipal Cemetery Edmonton Edmonton Census Division Alberta, Canada Plot: B 0041 0017. She died in a house fire getting baby out of the house?
I've tracked her grave & that all ties in.
I've maybe also tracked her passage to Canada (see attached) - this appears to show his (handwritten) name plus a few more letters?

However I cant track any marriage for her to confirm the full name of her husband or his family/parents, or birth details for Ernest Harold (son).

I know Ernest Harold returned to UK, because I have his marriage here to Marjorie AW Burghall & his death here in UK. Ernest Harold's dad may have worked as an entertainer? & came over to England where he was brought up by his grandparents - who may have been English?

Any help would be very much appreciated?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mr G? H Forbes - Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Here's a newspaper article on the fire (column 5)

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/newspapers/EDB/1913/08/04/8/

Click on the article to enlarge it.... to me it looks like the husband is G B Forbes.

Another article, where his initials are DH  ???  (column 4)
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/newspapers/EDC/1913/08/02/16/

And yet another DH (top of column 2 and 3)
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/newspapers/EDC/1913/07/16/1/

It's worth reading all 3 for tidbits of information.  One states they came from Winnipeg, so it's possible that is where they were married (although I didn't see one listed).

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
May be G.H. Foster

There is a marriage in Winnipeg, Manitoba for Ethel Stott and George H. Foster
DATE OF MARRIAGE: 31/05/1911
PLACE OF MARRIAGE: WPG
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1911,005631

One article posted by bbart above mentions they recently moved from  Winnipeg and were married 2 years.
You can purchase a certificate: http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for Ernest William Forbes in Manitoba. Maybe the Foster for George is an error in the marriage registration record.

LAST NAME: FORBES
FIRST NAME: ERNEST HAROLD
DATE OF BIRTH: 16/06/1912
PLACE OF BIRTH: WINNIPEG
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe the Foster for George is an error in the marriage registration record.

I was just about to post on that!  I took a look at the original ship list so that I could magnify it.  Although it does say Forbes, it is very easy to see how in a slightly different handwriting, it could be mistranscribed as Foster, and the indexes at Manitoba are transcribed from handwritten documents.

The timing of the marriage is perfect, five days after Ethel got off the boat.

The detail view for that birth states the birth mom is Ethel Hoff.  Again, that can be a transcription error.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 June 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
I've been poking around the UK records, and it appears that your Ethel is the daughter of Charles and Sarah from the Castleton area of Rochdale?
If so, I just want to point out there is a George H Forbes, son of James and Mary, about the same age as Ethel, that was born and raised in Castleton area of Rochdale.

This George had a brother Ernest, and Ethel had a brother Harold. 

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
That sounds good. I found there is a George Forbes on the 1916 census that immigrated in 1911, in March before Edith. George was born Scotland. Does this match the one that lived near Edith? Good to get the marriage record to be sure.

1916 Canada Census
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1916/Pages/item.aspx?itemid=313273

1911 Immigration record, George Forbes immigrating to Edmonton
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-quebec-port-1865-1900/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=3020870&

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 June 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
We can't rule out the Scottish fellow, but the one I found looks to be born in Rochdale.

I'm thinking if Ethel sailed over and married within five days, she must have already known George, so I was thinking he must be from her area.

I can't find a passenger record for Ernest going back to the UK, which might solve a few questions too.

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Wow!  This is wonderful ! Thank you both so much !
There was more than one Ethel Stott in Rochdale - but her grave entry said Mr & Mrs G Stott (again probably a mis-entry) I think It should be Mr & Mrs C Stott - that again led me down the wrong path for her, and I'd seen George (son of James & Mary)who'd emigrated, but couldn't tie him in.
I cant thank you enough - thanks very much